+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using Power For Furling

I'm going to stick my big Slovenian nose where it doesn't belong, and hope that it doesn't get smacked too hard. I am in the process of building an automated furler based on the following pictures, The pics may answer some questions which have been posed here. Then again, they may be totally irrelevant.

This furler is powered by a record player motor and controlled by the toggle switch. The wooden disc travels up the leader as it twists, and you are able to tell when the furling process is completed, as it stops at the 1/2" dowel. Pretty neat setup, and I watched these guys doing this for 5 years. In a previous thread, they are referred to as "The Boys From Mansfield, Ohio."

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Valencic; 01-16-2008 at 10:42 PM.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I agree with Jack, Warren and Joe, about the swivel. It would take less room. leaving the leader horizontal to furle.

Just wish I had a house so I could get my board and try it.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

Joe -

Your basic rig looks quite similar to mine. But I think our approaches may be distinctly different based on some of your comments. The record player motor is a great idea. A 78 speed would be ideal for my set up, even at a 3:1 gear ratio. Can it be run in reverse ? Also, how much weight are you using for the tensioning ?

We are obviously in a very small minority among the folks who posting on this subject. Even at that, I've picked up some really good ideas from those who use Kathy Scott's method, that can be incorporated into the method I learned. Whatever else you care to share about your approach would be appreciated - either on this thread, a new one, or by pm.

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread