+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry rig rod tool?

Default Jerry rig rod tool?

Have just ordered a rod kit from the very nice folks at Global dorner.

Notice from Al Campbell's inspiring article that I will need a device to turn the rod.

Having now depleted fly fishing funds for awhile (funny how this has happened), I thought of making a "turning device" in this way: Make to "bookend like" holders with V cuts; create turning tool by mounting a Black & Decker electric screwdriver, drilling hole in a wood block about 1.5 in diameter, glue this to an old drill bit, attack PVC pipe to this wood block, and then insert rod handle into the PVC. I dont have access to a rotisserie motor...

Is this crazy..anyone have other thoughts?

thanks, learner

If you want a real nice rod turner, this guy sells them for about $26. I have one (4.8 rpm model) and like it a lot. He sells them on e-Bay but you can contact him direct:

John Fleisher - Fish Tale Tackle
    email: calljmf@sbcglobal.net
    (714) 957-6138

------------------
    Joe

I usually just sit down with a good book and turn the rod a quarter turn every two pages. Works fine except when I get too engrossed in the book and forget about the rod. I allways do rod finishes late at night when no one is stirring up dust or bumping the end of the rod while trying to get through.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim

[This message has been edited by rainbowchaser (edited 09 June 2005).]
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

You can buy low rpm motors at several of the online electrical supply stores, especially those that cater to hobbist, etc. I bought 2 of them several years ago for less than $10 each. I recall the minimum order was $25.00 so I ordered some extension cords to make the $25.00. The company is Herbach & Rademan (H&R Company) at http//www.herbach.com. The motor is called a synchronous or timing motor and you want a speed of 4 -15 rpms. This is just a motor with wire leads which you need to attach to an electrical cord for plugging into house outlets. Cabela also has motors in the $20 range. I think to Cabela motors already have the proper cord with a plug.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

I rigged mine from an old barbeque motor (thrift store $2.00) a wood dowel whittled to fit the square drive hole, and a cardboard box with two notches cut into it at the right height.

For most epoxies it needs to turn for a bout 4 hours before the stuff sets enough not to droop. The screw driver might not be up to the duration. Check a local thrift store I bet you can find something with a low RMP motor for just a few bucks. Most electric clocks have a low speed motor in them, as well as tape recorder etc...

Or see if a local builder might be willing to let you use their machine for a few hours.

Some folks tell me you can do away with the turning motor if you use a fast drying wrap finish like U-40 perma-gloss. It sets up in about 5 minutes so you can turn by hand.

In england a company called stone fly produce a motor for turning rods and can also be used for rotating epoxy flys while they dry it costs ?25 could be woth contacting them.

Learner, I built one of these many years ago. Not too complicated. Cut the V in both blocks at the same time on a bandsaw. Do this by either screwing together or using double sided tape. While the blocks are still joined, drill a whole the size of a dowel of your choice completely through one and halfway into the bottom one. Glue dowels into the half drilled holes. They should fit somewhat loosely through the other block. You now have an adjustable length device which could make things a little more user friendly. Good luck. kev

Learner,

It's quite possible to do the turning without any special tools at all. I did this many times in the past with good results. Take a couple of paper cups and cut V notches in them to support the rod at two points. Then just rotate the rod 90 degrees every ten minutes for about an hour and a half. When I did this, I had a little electronic timer handy to beep every ten minutes to remind me.

There is no need to get a motorized turning setup if you are only going to build a rod or two.

I agree with gadabout - a motorized turner is not needed. I also do it by hand. Glass coat will dry in about 2-4 hrs so you don't need to turn very long and the time twixt turns gets longer as it dries. If you use varnish or permagloss you only need to turn once or twice, but you do need several coats. Allyn

I have made a number of rods and do not have a motorized turner. I simply hang the rod up horozintally and turn it every 15 minutes of so for a couple of hours. It was considerably more of a chore when I was still using varnish on the wraps than it is now with that high build stuff.

+ Reply to Thread