+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seaquar Tippet

Default Seaquar Tippet

Seems to me Seaguar Grand Max is the strongest / diameter tippet that is out there....fluorocarbon that is.

e.g. 3X [.008"] = 9.2#......if you believe what is published.

Anyone know any stronger...or have any thoughts??????...

Default Re: Seaquar Tippet

All I can tell you is I bought some of the 8X Grand Max last year 'cause I do use 8X quite a bit.

One day I hooked a nice 15" rainbow that took off downstream, went over a small falls, (18") and then around some small flexible tree branches. I was HOPING he would break off by himself so I didn't have to climb over the falls and into the fallen tree to release him which would have spooked some other fish in the pool. While I could have purposely busted him off; I didn't want to so I could avoid rebuilding my leader if it broke someplace other that at the tippet.

Well, the tippet held. The 8X Grand Max held the bow at bay until I climbed down to release him.

The stuff is INCREDIBLY strong in my unscientific field tests.

After Grand Max I like Varivas & Orvis Mirage in Fluoro since like the Grand Max; I have horsed some big fish on the stuff in sizes 6X-7X.

Default Re: Seaquar Tippet

I was talking to a T&T rep at a Bob Mariott show about tippets. He had no connection to Seaquar and told me to use it because it's the best out there. Take that for what it's worth. He seems like he was really trying to help me, and I believe him.

I really do like the Seaguar Grand MAX FX, but I am very frustrated by the tippet spool that it comes on. The tippet always seems to want to retract to the inside of the spoool, making it impossible to get ahold of the free end. Anyone else have this problem? Any solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I was talking to a T&T rep at a Bob Mariott show about tippets. He had no connection to Seaquar and told me to use it because it's the best out there. Take that for what it's worth. He seems like he was really trying to help me, and I believe him.

Haven't had a problem that I recall...been awhile since I tied any new on....just checked my spool and I've got about an inch sticking out. I wouldn't cut it too close and wouldn't cut while it's under tension. That is indeed a different style spool.

I love the stuff. However, I'm with JG on this one... the spools are horrendous. There are the - let's call the disk spools - that are terrible. Then there are some than come with the "standard" type spool with the cloth that holds the tippet. Those are excellent. Why can't they use them for all of their sizes? That's all I'd use if they did. But they don't so I find myself using Frog Hair for trout and Umpqua Big Game Fluorocarbon for Steelhead applications. Problem with the Umpqua is that the Big Game at my local fly shop only goes down to 8 lb. In low clear, I want a thinner diameter. So I use the 7.8 lb Seguar Grand Max Fluoro, which is actually quite thinner than the 8 lb. Big Game. Works for me... But yes, those spools suck.

As for the strength to diameter, I think Grand Max is the best in my also very unscientific tests.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    ~Lost Time is Never Found Again~

Thumbs up for the Orvis Mirage. Especially the smaller sizes!

ducksterman,

Have not entered the realm of fluorocarbon, not quite bought into all the hoopla, to justify the cost. I use Enrico Puglisi PowerFull in the smaller diameters. 6X= 4.4 lbs, 7X= 3.4 lbs, 8X= 2.1 lbs, 9X= 1.3 lbs. There's a comparison chart on the link below. Why the need for fluro at these diameters?

http://www.waterstrider.com/fishing-gear.htm

Best regards, Dave S.

Dave, wonder why they didn't include Seaguar in the chart....3X=9.2lb test...certainly not much difference

Try Maxima Fluorocarbon. Get a 200 yd. spool for the price of one of the dinky Seaguar 25 yd. spools. Have tried Seaguar, both the tippet and spool fluorocarbon, and much prefer Maxima's strength and durability.

+ Reply to Thread