+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metz and Whiting

Default Metz and Whiting

I'm probably asking for the impossible but I'll try. I want a medium dun Metz Microbarb Saddle but they are impossible to locate. I've even called Metz. An alternative would be a Whiting Silver Quality Saddle. I would like to hear from someone who has used BOTH for a direct comparison. I'm mostly interested in the comparison of range of sizes. I have no interest in other alternatives. Thanks.

Default Re: Metz and Whiting

there is a place near us that sells the really small feathers on a neck, ncex time i Go to the place, if you like you can pay me, and i will send them to you...

JZ

Thanks anyway JC for your offer but I'm looking for technical info about 2 specific products only.
    I'll be sourcing from mail order firms later.

Oh, if you are wanting to see what people think, I highly think that the metz micro is much better, I don't care for the whiting as much.

Ray,

I use both the Metz and the Whiting saddles. The size 'range' on the saddles is similar, mostly 12-16 with a few on either side. The Whitings seem to have a few more of the 'either side' feathers on teh small side, and the last one I sized out had fifty-six 20s on it, which I found unusual.

I do buy the gold from Whiting, though, as I feel it's a better value.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy,

Thanks for the reply. But are the Metz saddles you are comparing their regular saddles or their Microbarb?

Ray

Buddy,

Thanks for the reply. But are the Metz saddles you are comparing their regular saddles or their Microbarb?

Ray

Ray,
    Tying commercially in an area where there is little available for materials close by, I've been forced to mail order most of my tying supplies. It's been a long process of weeding out suppliers and brand names until I can consistently know what I will receive in advance. Back when Metz micro-barb saddles were first introduced I ordered one (Ginger for color). There was not a single feather on it smaller than a 10; most of it was size 8. I haven't used Metz since for anything other than hen necks.
    On the other hand, I have tied over 70 dozen size 16 and 18 parachute dry flies from a single grade 2 Whiting saddle. The new Silver grades are better. If you already deal with a good mail order house, ask them to select a saddle that is "heavy" with the sizes you want. If you want, I can suggest a few shops, but don't know if I'm supposed to do that on the board. Can send a PM if you like.
    Good fishing,
    Arnie

Hi Arnie, The White,Ginger,Brown and Grizzly Metz "Microbarbs" that I have all have been purchased recently and all are predominately size 14. Maybe your Ginger Metz was one of their regular saddles which are another "breed". The only complaint I have about my Microbarbs is that the Brown is really Furnace. I talked to Metz about this and was told that it is the state of their art, noting that Metz products are not dyed.
    I have an older Standard Metz Saddle in a Dark Cree that, as you say, has mostly size 12 hackles with only a few 14s
    Looks like I'll settle on a Whiting Silver Saddle dyed Med. Dun.
    BTW Hook & Hackle is my usual supplier.

Fatman Guest

Ray,

Check with Fly Fishers Paradise www.flyfishersparadise.com if your set for a metz in dun, they seem to carry alot of it. Or let Denny know at www.conranch.com what you're looking for with size's and he can probably help you out at a good price.

Fatman

+ Reply to Thread