+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding weight to bobbin

Default Adding weight to bobbin

Some of the bobbins I use are lighter weight than I would like. In general, I would observe, this is the case when plastic balls are used for the "ears" rather than some kind of metal.

Any tips on adding weight to these light-weight bobbins?

Peter F

Default Re: Adding weight to bobbin

Peter,
    I have read that many put split shot into the empty hole in the middle of the spool of thread. I have added wraps of sticky lead tape to the arms (for lack of a better word) of the bobbin for a more permanent solution.
    Joe

Joe... Both of those are great ideas. I thought about wrapping lead around the arms, and I should that. But the idea of inserting lead (perhaps a long lead sinker like those I used as a kid with a bait casting rod??) inside the spool is an excellent idea! It gets the lead "inside" the hand where it is easily... excuse the pun... handled. But it will still add weight when needed... when the bobbin is hanging.

Peter F.

Peter, if you are going to use lead for the weight, then I would highly recommend putting it inside the spool rather than on the arms of the bobbin where it would be in constant contact with your bare hand. Lead can be asorbed through the skin and is not a substance to taken lightly.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

If all you need is a 'little' more weight, then the bits of lead in the thread spool is an easy solution. You can use high lead content solder for this if the ratling of split shot becomes too annoying. Does mean that you have to remember to put the lead in each spool when you change thread.

If you reaqlly want to add some 'weight' to a bobbin, a large egg sinker can slipped over the tube and 'crimped' in place. The center hole in most large egg sinders is usually large enough to fit over the end of the bobbin, but if it's not, just ream it out with a drill bit. It will slide naturally down to where the arms of the bobbin spread. Add a drop of CA glue under it, and smash it flat with a pair of pliers.

Adds both weight and a convenient 'thumb tab' to the bobbin.

A couple of coats of epoxy OVER the lead seals it and stops health hazard worries. (Or, you can wrap it with thread and finish that for a nicer 'look' as well).

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Hi Peter, Years ago I melted some solder into holes drilled in a piece of wood and then split the wood to remove the lead slug. It seemed to work but I eventually gave it up. Note that Mary Dette, in her DVDs, doesn't use a bobbin at all. She uses half hitches between operations or uses her hackle pliers clipped onto the free dangling piece of thread.
    P.S. Use a Brad Point drill for smooth holes.

water gremlin rubbercore sinkers will work and are readily available anywhere

May I ask why you need the extra weight???? If you are spinning hair and it is needed to hold it tighter do what one big name tyers does--add a halfhitch after each packing. One long time tyer that I know make his bobbins and used ball bearings in place of the plastics. BILL

Blog Entries

A quick temporary weight can be as simple as clipping your forceps to the bobbin , this works on hackle pliers also.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fitzgerald
    May I ask why you need the extra weight???? If you are spinning hair and it is needed to hold it tighter do what one big name tyers does--add a halfhitch after each packing. One long time tyer that I know make his bobbins and used ball bearings in place of the plastics. BILL
    Bill,

That sounds like something fishbum would do. He's pretty creative.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread