+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #24 hackle?

Default #24 hackle?

I've been advised I need some #24 baetis for a special trip this summer. I was also advised that I should BUY them. i saw hogwash! There's no reason I can't tie them...

However, I'm having a hard time knowing what to buy for hackle, insofar as size goes... for example, pre-sized hackle like Whiting's 100s only go to size 20.

If i get a high quality cape, grade 1/A/gold, will it have appropriately sized hackle for tying these tiny flies? I'd hate to spend that kind of money and not get what I need, not that I wouldn't eventually use it... while we're at it, what about color also? Would Denny's silver badger be appropriate?

Thanks for any advice

fly_flinger

Default Re: #24 hackle?

Personally you would have to refer to what usually works where you will be fishing. I know you can buy half capes from whitings that will allow you to tie down past 24 sometimes into 30!!! But then again the majority of feathers will not be in your 24 range.... yet again you dont need much hackle on a size 24 hook.

Yes capes from whitings.. in my experience have feathers that small. Although it would be much cheaper for you to buy the flies in various colours and sizes.

I do not know where you are fishing and what the colour the fish like. But I like to follow the old addage, on a dark day a dark fly and on a light day a lighter fly... although this can be proven wrong many times over.

I tend to use natural colours like dun and black and brown mostly. Sometimes a ginger colour. I personally do not use badger very much at all.

That is just my two cents.

i have seen little packages of hackle from metz and others at one of the local fly shops for 3.00 a pouch , which go all the way down to like a #26. kind of a ripoff for only like 4-6 pieces of 3-4 inch hackles though

Quote Originally Posted by fly_flinger
    for example, pre-sized hackle like Whiting's 100s only go to size 20.
    Says who?

redacted.............
    Last edited by Bugsy; 04-06-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Yet another firm selling the packet's of presized is Ewing Feather Bird's.....and their cape hackle packets are solid quality stuff...and a good way to go if you are just getting into tying...or only tying a couple dozen flies...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Hello,
    For flies tied on size 22 to 26, I use F fly with the body made up of thread and wing of CDC. They are easy to tie and very effectives.

Normand Guest

why not use those teeny tiny hackles on the skinny end of the cape???

Hmmm... very strange. I could swear there was a post by Pechetruite in this thread, suggesting the F-Fly as a suitable alternative pattern.

I typed up a response to the post, yet now the relevant post appears to have evaporated.

Still... let's press on, and post anyway

===

Pierre,

Marjan Fratnik's F-Fly for sure is a quick-tie, very effective pattern. It does, however, in my mind have two flaws which need to be addressed to meet my 1. durablity, and 2. floatability, criteria.

The tying thread only body I do not find very durable. I will either totally omit the body (the difference between a thread covered shank, or a bare shank, with the backdrop of the CDC wing (as viewed from below) can hardly be described as earthshattering, or I will thinly dub the body which has for me proven much more durable.

The way Marjan ties in the wing looks and works great as long as the CDC barbs do not get saturated with fish slime, or indeed water. Once this happens the CDC collapses, and with it the wing, against the body. Rather than float, the F-Fly quickly trans-mutates into a sub-surface pattern. By changing the winging technique this behavior is easily averted, and the fly will float much better over longer periods of time.

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Hello,
    Yes, Hans, I posted a message about the F-Fly:
    "For flies tied on hooks size 22 to 26, I would use F flies, body made of thread and a wing of CDC, they are easy to tie and very effectives"
    As pointed out by Hans, the drawback is, they could quickly get waterlogged and be in or sub-surface.
    I dry them in a paper towel and still tied to the tippet, I drop the fly in a small container with silica gel, 30 seconds and the fly is dry and fluffy, ready to cast.

By changing the winging technique this behavior is easily averted, and the fly will float much better over longer periods of time
    Thanks to let us know the proper winging technique .
    Cheers
    Pierre

+ Reply to Thread