+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Painting Rod Blanks

Default Painting Rod Blanks

Possibly this has been asked earlier, but I am only starting to "think" about building rods, next step in the progression I assume. But can you paint the blanks? My daughter would love to have a purple rod, she is obsessed with purple, but I do not know if you can paint them or not, if anyone has any experience with this, or if you can what kind of paint can you use? I guess the other option is if there are any white blanks that I could use purple thread to wrap it with, just trying to have some options so I can get her a purple rod, I know TFO has a purple rod for breast cancer, but don't really want to spend that much, especially if I can build it myself.
    Thanks.
    Drew
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

Default Re: Painting Rod Blanks

I did a search on this site and found no reference to your question here, so i should be safe to refer you to a site I frequent that has your answer. The second link shows a pair of finished rods painted with Krylon Fusion and then clear coated with Spar Urethane. They even explain the steps to a good job. Good Luck! Post a picture when you're done.

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/inde...howtopic=13966

http://www.rodbuildingforum.com/inde...howtopic=13813

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

While varnish on a Bamboo Rod protects the material from moisture and adds weight, paint on a glass or graphite rod only adds weight as the material itself is self protecting. Another bad about paint is its association with cheap rods where it is used to cover up defects. These may not be issues for a child's rod. However, before getting out the brushes or spray equipment, look around for a blank in the color you want. Plum and burgundy are not that uncommon. Here's a 7' 4 wt blank in Plum for less than $30. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/ss2pcim6/296110.aspx The source has other sizes in plum also.
    Bear742

Yes, you can "paint" blanks. You have a variety of choices ... 1) auto paint body shop, they have the flexible type of paint required; 2) start with a white blank and use permagloss with tint, a number of coats will leave you with a great finish and; 3) order a purple blank - Lamiglas does a variety of colors, you just have to wait until that particular color is shot. Last I heard it was $20 extra, and of course you get a nice factory finish.

Also, the thought of a white blank with purple wraps and even some purple marbling would look nice.

If you need some assistance with ordering a purple blank, PM me.

+ Reply to Thread