+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need sme ideas

Default Need sme ideas

I am trying to put together a fishing day for handicapped children in my area. This is way early in the planning stages. I will be getting help from my other family at the local firehouse so it takes a lot of planning, when you deal with a bunch of fireman. At least that?s what the wife says (all the time). Anyway I have a couple of easy access pounds that will be no problem to use. Lots of grass and no steep banks. Some children will be in wheel chairs and some will be lying on blankets and some will be walking. We will be using cane poles and worm?s (its not fly fishing, but its FISHING). I would expect to have about 25 to 30 kids. I am looking for any Ideas you all can send my way . The Fire Dept. will be sponsoring the event but we need to save any where we can. So any suggestions on that would help also. If any one has ever done this with handicapped children before let me no the pro?s an con?s (well We know the Pro?s)
    Thanks.
    BigTex

Big Tex,
    Our local petting zoo has a stocked pond for fishing. And I mean STOCKED! The kids use a long bamboo pole, big hooks, big worms and big bobbers, and a fairly short line. Just about every time a line is dropped, a fish (blue gill) takes the worm. I'd think that if you have a bazillion gills in your pond,and the kids can EASILY catch fish, from prone position on a blanket, to sitting in a wheelchair, to standing along the bank, they'll have a ball. Just keep it simple.
    Betty

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Big Tex, Great thing to do. Take plenty 2 X 4s to put in front of wheel chairs.

Tex,
    1) If you are going to pay for the worms,......DON'T!! Talk to local golf courses & tell them you will mention them if they allow some of your volunteers to collect nightcrawlers from their freshly watered fairways.
    2) For those children who easily tire of fishing, have plenty of copies of the "Let's Go Fishing" section from Field & Streams' Anniversary issue for them to work on & enjoy. (see JC's article).
    3) When are you having it? I make a pretty darn good peanut butter fudge, most kids have a sweet tooth, & if I have a little advance notice, I would LOVE to make a donation of 5 or 6 pounds of "kids' health food"!!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Talk to your local Game Warden. We are always looking for projects to help with. I have done these on deck boats and one thing to remember is to furnish shade. If you are going to be on land, check with fish farms in your area to maybe buy some fish to "enhance" the experience. Even though my brothers kids are handicapped, I never really knew how much work, thought and consideration the parents of these children must do. They really are "special" parents. This is a monumental undertaking for someone not really familiar with the needs of the handicapped but an extremely rewarding one.
    After you do this several times, you will understand my willingness to immediately call a wrecker to tow a car illegally parked in a handicapped place.
    We used straps with velcro to attach the rods to the arms of the children who could not grasp the poles but could set a hook. You talk about"miles of smiles" when they hooked one! Also, use lots of sunscreen since they can't move into the shade all the time as we can. Lots of fluids and sunglasses since most of the time these special kids aren't used to being outside. Wet towels around the necks,or those neck wraps you freeze in the freezer and put around their neck. Also, insect repellent. Avon Skin So Soft has a product that has all the ingredients to cover all the bases in this situation.
    We started an imaginary fishing show while the kids were fishing and had one of us be a commentator telling what bait, technique,etc., that a child was using each time they caught a fish. There was lots of comedy built in and the kids would really participate and give each other, and us, nicknames and tell jokes on each other. An uproarious good time!
    Hope I've given you some ideas. This is a good work that you do!

Andy

------------------
    all types of fishermen must pull together for the good of all!!!

I sure wish I lived in the Houston area, I'd be doggoned happy to get out there and help too. All of the above comments are good. Here in AZ, the Fish & Game will furnish rods (for any who are able to handle them). However, there's nothing like an old pole, line, bobber and hook. Maybe one of the Sporting Goods chains like Oshman's could kick in with some equipment?

Good luck!
    Silvertop

------------------
    Snow on the roof but with fire still in the hearth

BigTex;
    I'm helping with a Fish-In for "Troubled Teens" this month and I received a lot of good advice from FAOL members. Such as remove the hook barbs, take lots of photos and if you have contests have prizes for all.
    Good luck and God Bless.

------------------
    Cactus

Night crawlers are good, but waxworms, spikes, and maggots are much cheaper on a per fish basis. And the gills (and bass and cats) like them just as much. If you have to pay for the bait go with one of these.

Lux

Thank's For all the great ideas!!!
    We have never done this before and there is alot to think about. I plan on Haveing it next spring or early summer so its not so hot and gives us enough time to plan. If it go's over well we will make it a yearly event.
    Thanks
    BigTex

Tex, There's a non-profit grass roots volunteer organization that formed on the Chesapeake Bay called "Wish-a-Fish". Each year they sponsor a fishing day for children with disabilities (physical, mental, health,etc) and their families. Gives the whole family time together to relax and have fun. I'll find the link and post it.

There is some corporate sponsorship. We pack gift bags for each family that includes small tubes of sun screen, hats, etc. Water is freely available in large coolers. In the past volunteers have each brought a small plastic tackle box loaded with goodies and an inexpensive spinning rod for each child to take home. Now, some of those items are donated (check with your local Wal-Mart and Bass Pro). Everybody gets a t-shirt (sponsors have prominant listing on the back) including the volunteers.

After fishing, we have a barbecue picnic for all. I think the volunteers get as much out of this as the families.

Good luck. This is a great outreach you are planning!

+ Reply to Thread