+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis Warehouse Sale

Default Orvis Warehouse Sale

Hey Folks,

The Orvis Warehouse Sale is coming to the Coliseum in
    Charleston next weekend. Anyone been to one lately that
    can tell me what to expect? Is it worth a 90 minute drive?
    Admission and parking are free. Warm regards, Jim

Default Re: Orvis Warehouse Sale

I'm and orvis fly fisherman... really, everything I own is orvis, and actually, I go about 250 miles round trip to buy flytying materials, and and to tie with some of my buddies. If you like orvis stuff, I have heard that the warehouse sale is pretty awsome.

JZ

Jim,
    We went to the sale when it was in Overland Park (under 20 minutes). The first day it was insane!! Bazillions of people, grabbing and hauling away stuff in huge garbage bags. Much of what they had there was old, returned stuff, many of which had family names and/or initials sewn on or stamped on. (I don't know ... I suppose you could get really lucky and get a deal on something if you didn't mind someone elses name on it!). Some of the clothing they had was right out of the catalogue; I got a $69 blouse for $14. Rods and reels usually didn't have warrantee cards with them. Dog beds were a big draw ("Muffin" wouldn't mind having "Tiger" stamped on her bed?) Some luggage, but the prices weren't THAT good to even make me look seriously. Tying materials weren't that much off of their regularly higher prices (can do better at my local fly shop). That said, sure! I'd go take a look at it all, especially if you take someone with you, and you can find a Cheesecake Factory to eat at!!
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I agree with betty. I was part of a warehouse sale and they are CRAZY! Mostly the clothing. I remember mens shirts normaly priced from $69 to $120. going 3 for $50. This is for the most part, brand new stuff that just didn't move, but some can be returns even slightly used.
    I wouldn't imagine the flie tying items being on sale at all, so if they are...bonus.
    In my opinion, it is worth the drive for the clothes and even some house hold items. They will be incredible mark downs!

Thanks for the heads up folks. Sounds like a fun time.*G* I'll
    plan on going Friday which is the first day before all the goodies
    get picked over. Much appreciated.*G* Warm regards, Jim

Jim, get a boxing helmet, mouthpiece, and skaters' knee and elbow pads! Hang your credit cards on a lanyard around your neck and stand outside in line chanting, "It's GO TIME, baby!" while jumping up and down and pounding your chest. This should give you a bit of a headstart and some elbow room for the first few minutes.

Jim,

I've been to a couple Orvis Warehouse sales that they held here in Atlanta. I think that you will have loads of fun and get some great buys. If you still have crutches from your knee surgery, take them along. People will feel sorry for you and those that don't, well let's just say you have a way to get their attention

Good luck, have fun and let us know how it turns out for you.

Jim Smith

Jim,
    I also have been to the last 2 sales in Atlanta. The first one, which was my first, I spent about $45, bought nothing over $1, and ended up with about $400 worth of fly tying materials. Pheasant tail clumps $1 normally $6.95, Classic streamer hooks 50 count $1 normally $14.95, these are just 2 examples.
    The second time, I made the mistake of taking my wife. She actually was pretty good about the sale, since she only bought two pairs of slacks that retailed for $79 each and she paid $19 each. I came away with more fly tying materials. (Holographic flash, crystal flash, some more pheasant tail clumps[different colors than the first]. A $59 fly line for $5, etc. We spent about $100 and got about $350 worth. Ratio would have been better without the wife's purchases.
    The bargains are there, you just have to get there early, fight the maddening crowds and be prepared to stand in line for quite a while to check out.
    Do I think it is worth it? Yes it is.
    Chuck

Well, today was the first day of the local sale. I was an early
    bird and had all my goodies and was gone in less than 90 minutes.
    Very pleased with the goodies I got and the prices. Highly
    recommended!*G* Warm regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hatch
    Well, today was the first day of the local sale. I was an early
    bird and had all my goodies and was gone in less than 90 minutes.
    Very pleased with the goodies I got and the prices. Highly
    recommended!*G* Warm regards, Jim
    So.......you're going to just leave us hanging here without telling us about the individual smashing buys you got?

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread