CEA hit the nail on the head. I wrote earlier about black bears in PA as they are not a serious threat to humans unless you jump out of a tree onto their backs while they are feeding or something else just as stupid. In PA bears are bigger than most states ans bears have been weighed in that tip the scales over 800 lbs. but the average is about 200 lbs. of muscle. Statistically speaking, black bears do kill more people than grizzlies in other states and Canada so keep that in mind when hiking in other areas. And always remember they are not pets or teddy bears!

By the way, great picture of a grizzly CEA. My original post was to let people know (especially in southern PA) that the woods are not a dangerous place to go. I once heard a man telling his kids and grandchildren he would never venture out of his cabin in Tioga County without a firearm. He was telling his family at a large New Years Eve celebration in one of our local restaurants. The kids sat all wide eyed, the adults all nodded in agreement, and the other locals sitting around them just smiled and drove home to our houses in the woods and made it safely inside without our weapons.

That is Northern PA and I am sure there are parts of MT that have the same stories circulated, with a little help from those locals who prefer to have fewer visitors!

Good post CEA.