Fly Goddess: It is an unfortunate event. However, blaming Fish and Game is a waste. There are black bear warnings not only at the campsite near where this family was staying, but at several campsites throughout Utah. Your own post, indicating you had no idea bears were in the area, shows what good these signs are (rarely does anyone pay attention to them). One photo I am reminded of is an old one from teh Hungry Horse News in Montana showing a bear trap that says in huge letters on the side "Danger: Keep Away - Dangerous Bear" and shows a young boy with his face not a foot from the trap gate and his parents or grandparents peering through the holes in the side of the trap. It seems after these sort of events occur, everyone says if they were only warned they wouldn't have gone. However, if you've been around closed areas in the mountains, closed for bear or mountain lion or whatever, it is not uncommon at all for people to ignore those signs also. Additionally, these folks were apparently no camping in the developed campground, but in an undeveloped forest area near the campground. The risks from wildlife, whether it be moose, bears, mountain lion, etc. should be (but I know is not) understood by campers in any backcountry camping area or they should stay home. With no other bear fatalities in the area ever it is not reasonable to contend that fish and game, or anyone else for that matter, knew this was going to happen. While the event was unfortunate and the family deserves all the sympathy in the world, blaming fish and game or anyone else for this accident is, in my mind, misguided.