+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Bear encounters

Default Re: Bear encounters

Quote Originally Posted by jcntheriver
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    44 AUTO MAG. WORKS FOR ME!

HERE IN NEW JERSEY THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THAT IS RANGERS. THEY HAVE SOME SORT OF PROBLEM WITH CIVILANS THAT CARRY HANDGUNS. THE ONLY PROBLEM BEARS WE HAVE ARE BLACK. WE DON`T HAVE A SEASONAL HUNT ,IT`S UP TO THE F@#*K*# STATE GOVERMENT. SO THEY CATCH ALL OR KILL PROBLEM BEARS, AND BURY THEM OR MOVE THEM TO UPSTATE NEW YORK. OTHERWISE IF YOU SEE ONE JUST YELL AT IT ,CLAP YOUR HANDS, AND THEY WILL RUN OFF.

JCNTHERIVER

jcn659@aol.com
    Good luck with the .44 mag. I have a buddy who has a gold claim in Alaska. He was attacked by a Grzz and all he had was a .44 mag. He pumped 6 shots into it and it kept on coming. Luckily his partner heard the shots and ran over with his .458 mag rifle and stopped the bear.

Lucky for you there's no Grizz in NJ.

1 SHOT TO THE HEAD OF A BEAR IS ALL I NEED . NO PROBLEM .TOOK MY FIRST BEAR WITH A BOW IN THE BRAIN, DONE! JEFF

Yes, but as you well know. Hunting and being attacked by surprise are two different situations.

On a more serious note, my wife and I have seen SEVEN black bears total in our last two trips to Shenandoah NP. Five one trip, two the other. Of the five on that first trip, four were a sow and her 3 cubs - crossing the road during midday. The other three bears were all spotted fewer than 50 yds away - on trail! The drought here this summer has pushed them well down and into territory they don't normally frequent in search for food. Be careful - be loud if hiking alone.

Just got back from Alaska (mid-August) and it had to be the most incredible fishing trip I've ever been on in my life! Not only did we catch plenty of silver & pink salmon, but dolly varden and cutthroat trout as well. Bears are a way of life in that country ... I personally saw 11 bears, 10 black and one HUGE brown. Saw the big bear as I was making my way on a trail through the forest to a remote lake. Coming up on a bridge that crossed a creek, I heard some some sounds to my left, like libs breaking and "something" making it's way through the woods; when I glanced over there was the biggest bear I have evr seen in my life, obviously making it's way to the creek, too! The only thing I had to ward off a bear attack would have been my fly rod ... maybe I could have switched him real good!

I had gotten ahead of the others (who were going too slow for me) with the idea that I would be all set to fish by the time they caught up. But I waited there at that bridge until they caught up! Also, they had been yelling "hey bear!" as they hiked along, which I tought was a little extreme, but you should have heard me after seeing that bear!

The bears were only a part of the fabulous sights ~ while fishing for silver (coho) salmon from a boat in Stephens Passage (out of Juneau), I was setting in a jump seat on the boat's stern, when two humpback whales surfaced no much more than fifity feet from the boat! They surfaced and blew air thirty feet in the air and went down again showing their huge tails that alone where bigger than our boat! I like to have fell out of the seat! By the time I got my camera and they surfaced again they where some distance off and the photos I got then really don't tell the story. The fella who owns the boat and has seen this spectacular sight many times before, says he thinks the whales actually surface close to the boat to kinda say hello! What a sight!

My third experience, was fishing a river for dolly varden with waders and I'm maybe getting close to waist deep water, making some casts with the flyrod, when all of a sudden there comes screaming down from out of nowhere, a bald headed eagle with an unbelievable wing span and snatches a fish right out of the water right in front of me, maybe again fifty feet.

What a fishing trip. What incredible sights!

Dale

Dale,
    I just want to thank you for one of the best Reports/Stories, I have read in a long time!!! I'm glad you didn't get EATEN!!!
    Great Job!!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

jcntheriver Guest

The largest black bear in NewJersey was report by Fish&Wildlife weighted in at a hefty 982LBS. No lie. My friend Bob has the certifacate from F&W, see they caught the bear in his back yard to tag it. The Bear`s nickname is Bearzilla. Sort of a celeb he is. Oct 2006

Jeff

P.S. last known whereabouts........ unknown.......forever more.

jcntheriver Guest

HEY GRAMPS WHEN GOING INTO BEAR COUNTRY IT SHOULD COME TO YOU AS NO SURPRISE..........

JCN

HEY GRAMPS WHEN GOING INTO BEAR COUNTRY IT SHOULD COME TO YOU AS NO SURPRISE..........

JCN
    All of Colorado is bear country.

The largest black bear in NewJersey was report by Fish&Wildlife weighted in at a hefty 982LBS. No lie. My friend Bob has the certifacate from F&W, see they caught the bear in his back yard to tag it. The Bear`s nickname is Bearzilla. Sort of a celeb he is. Oct 2006
    Jeff
    P.S. last known whereabouts........ unknown.......forever more.
    Gotta watch out for those Jersey Bears
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    I love the smaller streams in Colorado, and it's the only type of fishing I do now. Some of the streams I go to are pretty remote. Fishing alone is part of the experience I enjoy, so nobody ever knows where I am.

As I sit on a rock on some remote stream eating a peanut butter sandwich. Bears and Mountain Lions are my first thought. Then again, the wading will probably kill me before I get eaten by some critter.

Yep, I have a better chance of getting killed by an avalanche in the winter than by a bear
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Blog Entries

How about in the summer, when we're wandering around with fly rods?

Ed

+ Reply to Thread