+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Atlantics & Brook Trout

Default Atlantics & Brook Trout

I just watched 2 TV shows called 'HOOKED' with Mark Krupa as the Host.
    The first show was Mark flyfishing for Atlantic Salmon in Newfoundland. Mark only caught grisle, which as Chris knows, are little guys. Mark only fished with dries.
    The second show was better because Mark flyfished for Brook Trout in Labrador (Minipi Camp)
    The Guide had him fish dry flies (Orange Bomber) and (Deer Hair Mouse)
    It was curious that the Guide had Mark stand up in the boat and troll his fly. I don't remember seeing a flyfishing show where that was the method of fishing.
    Mark also fished out of the boat and he caught very large Brook Trout.
    This show was filmed in September when the fish were in their spawning colors.
    What got my attention about these fishing shows was that they were filmed with High Definition cameras and they were broadcast in HD on my channel 788. I can tell you HD TV is amazing!
    Nature shows like the Discovery channel are beautiful.
    I have regular channels also. HD is in it's infancy and it is going to get more prevalent.
    It's interesting that in my opinion, NHL Hockey is the most impressive Sport on HD because you can actually SEE the puck!
    In order to receive a HD signal, your TV has to be capable and the cable co. has to hook you to a digital box.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Default Re: Atlantics & Brook Trout

Your observation on the NHL is interesting to me. I am a very big fan of hockey and play myself, have never had a problem "following the puck" However, what you say is thought to be a very good reason why hockey hasnt "taken off" in the states like many have hoped. Has HD helped you follow the game more? Has it spurred your interest to watch it more, or have you always been interested in the game?

I have noticed that the wide angles of HD do allow you to see more of the rink, and better follow how plays develop at such a high speed. But my view is obviously biased, and am curious what others think who arent as attached to the game as I. The million dollar question (literally, in TV contracts) is whether HD will bring hockey back to the Big 4 sport status it once had prior to the lockout.

Oh, and brook trout in High Def?? Very sorry I missed that one.

Hockey might have a bigger following if it didn't come across as being only one step above pro-wrestling
    Just sayin..
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I respect your opinion and take it in stride. I see both sides of the fence, but having played the game myself (at a much lower level), I can tell you those punches are real and are a result of the absolute intensity of the game.

I remember when CBS broadcast the NHL for many yrs. The NHL losing CBS was very bad for them.
    HD TV is a revolution for Hockey because following that tiny puck is vital to feeling like your in the game. The NHL better pray that HD takes off!
    Until HD, there was NO substitute for watching a LIVE hockey game.
    If Portland had a NHL team, then I would go watch it. Alas the Blazers BB team is the only pro game.
    In my opinion, the NHL rule changes and limited fighting has made the game better. I want to watch the skills the players have and I can't do that if their being whistled for a penalty every 5 seconds.
    The way the game is right now is similiar to a BB game in that it is a TEAM game.
    Changing the subject, watching those Brook Trout on HD was almost like being there and watching Mark Krupa flail away reminded me that we need to have enthusiasm in our lives!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Unfortunately, most rivers in Newfoundland now have largely grilse only runs in them, for various reasons such as the now defunct commercial harvest and poaching/over-angling. However, even a "little guy" can fight like nothing else with fins. I've never wet a fly for bonefish, but from everything I've heard, they seem like a fitting size to fighting strength comparison.
    There are several rivers in Newfoundland that do still have healthy runs of MSW (Multi-Sea Winter) salmon where the large hens can be 30+ lbs. The Lower Humber River here in Corner Brook has actually produced fish estimated to be over 60lbs in the last few years. The Highlands River in the Codroy Valley, about an hour outside Corner Brook, also has a healthy population of MSW salmon. Labrador still has a pretty healthy salmon population, as well and there are several rivers where retention of large (63cm+) is allowed, as opposed to most rivers on the island.
    Oh...and the brookies in Labrador are increbibly aggressive and large, moving surface flies illicit spectacular responses. That's probably why the guide told Mark to fish that way, and with every show I've ever sen with him, he ALWAYS listens to the guides.

Mark said that he had been fishing since he was a kid and it was fun to see him act like one.
    I noticed that one brookie he caught on a mouse fly, seemed to KNOW that it was a mouse he was eating.
    The fish came up ate it and started back down, like it was perfectly normal, very relaxed.
    I hope I get to see more of Mark's shows.
    Doug P.S. I have caught Landlocked Atlantics (12-18 inches) and they are great fighters!

I'm not sure if the first big brookies were caugh by accident when anglers were really prospecting for salmon, but the big dries seem to work well and they are a blast to fish. (I saw some BIG bows in Alaska chasing mice once too, ... so maybe us "Easterners" borrowed the technique from them)

Only problem is casting those big salmon flies on a trout rod. Ah shucks, ... Life is tough
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread