Just filled up on $2 a gallon ethanol today, made in the USA, instead of $3 a gallon gasoline. My 1999 Ford Ranger is a flex-fuel vehicle (one of the first US trucks to have that capability) and burns it just fine. About a 10% loss in mileage, still a bargain. I noticed no performance difference.

If your car or truck has a yellow gas cap, or is listed a flex fuel vehicle (mine has an emblem under the Ford label on the tailgate that shows a tree growing out of a highway) -- check your owner's manual. If you can burn E85 it's a bargain--if you can find it. Cleaner emissions, and no foreign oil involved (well, 15%). Folks in corn-producing states have a better chance of being able to locate some yellow pumps (that's the code, like green for diesel) and use E85.

Renewable energy IS homeland security. And buying it at a 30% discount helped convince me, too. I know, I know--I'm burning food in my truck while kids in India are starving. But ever tried to eat the field corn that they make E85 from? It's nasty, no thanks!
DANBOB