+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Roscoe Fish-In, Summary Report

1. Default

Grubb...I don't understand. It is not that big of a deal that I missed it and I never said it was...

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

To respond to your post,(and to our talk in the chat) not that it was a deal, just wanted you to know life happens, but I wil tell you here my friend that missing this fish-in that I had planned for along time, cauht me off gaurd, and felt like the same for you, no matter how old or young, life goes on, we are just here to liv it, then we count our reel in's, then go on, and if you don't understand this post, k, no prob, I'v had that alot, that's,(lets see what would you say at your age,hmmm,k,)NO WORRIES???

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...

[This message has been edited by Grubb (edited 07 June 2005).]
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Hi Guys,

I had a great time. Thanks for all of your effort Allan, you did a great job and it was appreciated by all of us. Thanks too to the chairman of the board who presided over a bowl of porridge each morning with grace and wit. Sign me up for next year regardless of where it is. I certainly hope the weather gremlins leave the Catskills alone for a while. They have had far too much already.

Thanks to everyone for your friendship.

Lauder

Allan, Thanks for putting the Fish-In together again. Sorry I was only able to be there one day. I watched Les for an hour change flies several times and take 3 fish one of which was pretty nice. Funny how they put in a bunch of 12 to 16 inchers yet everybody seems to catch only the 18 to 20 inch holdovers! LOL. Of the eight guys fishing along side Les on Cairns only the single guy above him caught a small fish. Les is the BEST!
    I went over to the West Branch of the Delaware and caught 3 smallish fish all on a Dell Maza Red Quill I had picked up at Mary Dette's (Drtte-Clark) just because they were so different and so well tied. I am sorry to have to report that Mary's husband Gene was having some more tests done for what turned out to be lung cancer. Although confined to a wheelchair for quite a while and making it through a stroke earlier this year I have never visited with the man that he didn't have a big smile on his face. The Catskill rivers were at July levels and only the cool evenings kept the water temp in the 50's. Got a call late last night that the Green Drakes were starting in earnest and I am headed back down there tomorrow afternoon . Would have gone down today but had a scan scheduled.
    On the Ausable. I was up there Friday, Sat and Sunday and it was fishing as poorly as the Catskills. Yes there were fish but few rises. Nymphing was the way to go although I did take a 14 incher on one of Fran Betters Haystacks.
    On the 06 Fish-In, The Ausable has plenty of water to fish too. The West Branch and Main Branch of the Ausable plus a couple of branches of the Saranac
    The Boquet is only 14 miles away...Plus there are lakes and ponds that hold trout too.
    The Hungry Trout may not have the private water "Dream Mile" next year. The mile and a half behind the "Trout" became C&R this year and although it is open to the public it is quite a ways from the road and the land between Whiteface Ski Center and the "Trout" is posted so I would not be surprised if that stretch became the new "Dream Mile".
    THe environs in the High Peaks area is unmatchable in the East. The weekday traffic on the river is much much less than the Catskills. The biggest problem, just like the Catskills is finding a place that will hold the majority of the people. The Hungry Trout will hold 42 people without going to cots. 4 of the rooms however are a single queen sized bed. 2 of the rooms have 3 beds. The rest are 2 double beds.
    The problem is that no matter where you go a few rooms will already be booked automatically by regulars who return every year.
    Early registration is the only way to book rooms. Unless you go in July or August when even the tail waters warm up and do not have enough releases. Most of the on the water big outfits stock trout at their locations even when they are not supposed to.
    Roscoe is always a fine place to spend a week. You never know who you will run into. Someone said they ran into Art Lee. I am surprised Art got into the water. Usually it is a long long one sided conservation and no fishing. Very interesting and knowledgable guy but usually talks more about his friendship with Jack Hemingway and other things than fishing. Next year you should have him down for a book signing. He would probably give the group a discount on the books.
    Again, Thanks for putting it all together....

5. Default

Bob...that section right behind Whiteface is pretty good fishing...I just parked at the Ski Resort and walked down benind the ski lift.

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

Guys,

Just heard from a Roscoe realtor. There's an excellent possibility that 5 bedroom home, 2 baths, kitchen, etc. may be available for rent next year. While there's no rush, over the course of time, he'll be in touch with the owner and me and we'll try to work something out.
    Just thought some of you might like to know.
    Oh, did I mention it is on the Willow about 1/2 mile upstream of Junction Pool and has a lot of riverfront property? heh heh. Damn, why couldn't the Fish-In be next week?

Allan

7. Default

Allan...why not a Part II of the Fish In ...I know I would try to make it...hopefully my mom would be done with the change orders she is doing.

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

[This message has been edited by Mike Murgida (edited 09 June 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread