+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roscoe Fish-In, Summary Report

Default Roscoe Fish-In, Summary Report

Hi Guys,

Well, it?s over )-: I believe it?s safe to say that everyone who attended the Roscoe Fish-In had a good time. RW is preparing a photo album, with description, of the weeks? activities and hopefully it will appear on this site in a couple of weeks. The photos will make those who weren?t there wish they were. I don?t want to take anything away from his presentation so I?ll just give a general summary of the week.

The rivers we fished were the Beaverkill, Upper Beaverkill, Willowemoc, Upper Willowemoc, Neversink and the East Branch of the Delaware. As each of us arrived we were greeted by beautiful weather. The rivers were low and clear but the water temperatures were excellent. The bugs I saw were: numerous caddis?, Green Drakes, Isonychias, March Browns, Gray Fox, some small olives, Yellow Sallies, beetles, ants. One night on the upper Beaverkill there were clouds of Yellow Sallies. One night the lower Beaverkill had thousands of big black caddis flying upstream overhead. I heard they did touch down at some point. The trout did not ?hold? in the water. Where it was possible to see trout, like at Cairns Pool, they were cruising, would take selectively and move away. It seemed like each trout had a different preference for the insects and, if you did get a rise and missed, you didn?t get a second chance at that fish. Well, as the saying goes, ?if it was easy, they?d call it catching.?

Officially we got together daily for breakfast, had a fly swap on Wednesday, a cookout Thursday evening, Ray Dubois provided us with an informative casting clinic on Friday, and a getaway dinner with a ?gift swap? on Saturday.

Each evening many of us met at the Reynold?s House for fly tying sessions with demonstrations that also included a lot of information sharing, BSing, jokes and other frivolities. On Saturday night, instead of tying, we spent a couple of hours brainstorming the events of the week and tossed around some ideas for a Fish-In 2006.
    First, should we have a Fish-In at all? The overwhelming response was YES!
    Second, the question came up about having it elsewhere, possibly the Adirondacks.
    There were some Positive things about that idea:
    a) Everyone would be at a single location at a facility able to accommodate our numbers
    b) Fly shop on premises
    c) Thinking of the Hungry Trout, we?d be fishing private water with possibly less angler congestion.
    d) Guides available for those with that desire.
    However, many felt there were more positive things about the Roscoe area and negative about the Adirondack location:
    a) The Adirondacks would be totally new water to almost everyone.
    b) The travel distance to the Adirondacks is much further for almost everyone.
    c) Cost.
    d) The Adirondacks would have limited water whereas the Catskills has hundreds of miles within 30-45 minutes of Roscoe.
    e) Many people are gaining familiarity with the Roscoe area, accommodations and the Catskill rivers.
    f) Roscoe?s local fly shops
    g) Friendly atmosphere of the general population to us and the good will of many merchants.
    h) Of course Mother Nature has the final say and we can only hope that next year the rivers are somewhat higher and the area doesn?t have weather that duplicates last September and April floods.

So, the overwhelming consensus was to continue to use Roscoe as the center of activities with a couple of possibilities. Like trying to find a large house to rent for the week. What we?d look for would have 4 or 5 bedrooms to accommodate the needs of 8 to 10 people. The ideal house would have all amenities and people would be prepared to share rooms. In several months the area realtors will be contacted about this possibility. Another option may be to contact some of the area lodges to see about a group arrangement. Another suggestion was the ?bunkhouses? at the CFFC&M. I called and learned that each is just one large room with 5 bunk beds. I don?t think that would be acceptable.
    A fishing suggestion was a trip to the Esopus River. Another suggestion was to set the tying sessions for the non-peak hours, say 3 till 6 in the afternoon. This might make for a more relaxing post fishing evening.

Oh, I forgot to mention that some guys participated in, or visited, the tying program at the Kings Inn to support Theodore Gordon Flyfishers.

Well, that?s it for another year. Personally speaking, the week went by too quickly.

Allan

Thanks for the report, I'm sorry that I missed it. I'm sure that I could have learned alot from you folks, not to mention the laughs you could have got from my flyfishing abilities. Maybe next year.

------------------
    Land Em',
    Carp

Hi folks, RW here

I'll be sending in all the pics with captions from the Roscoe fish-in tommorrow. I am sure I got at least one picture of everyone that attended the fish-in at some time during the week. It was a great time, good weather all 6 days, so all activities went as planned. Eventually this photo shoot will be placed in the archives with past fish-ins so it can be perused any time for those that might want to attend a future affair. There is no better way to get to really know the FAOL family than to attend one of these get-togethers. Often, life-time friendships are made at these fish-Ins so you might want to click on Fish-Ins in the index at the left of your screen and check on some of the past conclaves.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

al

margaret and i had a great time at the fish in. we would both like to thank you for all your hard work organizing and running it. we look forward to the next one. also the guys that attended were great, made us feel welcome and shared lots of terrific information. (along with a large amount of kidding each other.)

thanks

mike

Nice to meet you all, I look forward to next year. I almost forgot to mention Friday nights fish, 20" brown from one of the more notorious pools on the Beaverkill, on a Green Drake. I was down to my last green drake fly, the first two fish, (both quite large) broke me off just as I was about to net them. All eyes were on the first one, as he came out of the water twice, twisting and turning, what a beautiful site. Anyway down to my last green drake pattern, I only saw a few green drakes and a couple coffin flies, and they were taken immediately. I took my time and brought my first big brown to hand, shook hands with him and made sure he was ok, then said goodbye, I didn't have the heart to keep him any longer for a picture, which I am kicking myself for now. I met a very kind gentleman that night who has been fishing this pool since 1935, we scouted out this big fish and he spent over an hour watching me fish and chatting, he wasn't fishing that night but we got along so well he decided to scramble down the rocks and hangout me fish, what a treat. This fish had broken him off two weeks earlier, unfortunately he had to leave before I caught the fish. Thanks Walt, he's still there waiting for you. None of the other 8 guys at the head of the pool were catching fish or if they were they were small. The big fish I was catching were taking the large pattern green drakes, and I could hear what the others were tying on and it was nothing large, I didn't give my secret away. I also met another famous fly fisherman while scouting a pool, Art Lee. Thursday night while scouting a pool on the lower BeaverKill, we proceeded to chat for over an hour where he asked me if I would care to join him on the East Branch. I had never fished the E. Branch and eagerly followed. I didn't realize at the time whom I was speaking with or who I was about to fish with, talk about lucky!! What an amazing trip, I will be talking about this one for the rest of my life. Art showed me some great spots to fish, which I was sworn to secrecy, and said he would send a signed copy of his book, I can't wait to sit down and read it.
    I Caught two nice browns on Cairns Pool on Saturday morning on a march brown emerger on my first few casts, then the fish shut down for the afternoon, it was time for lunch anyway and head for home to see the wife and kids.

[This message has been edited by boom2it (edited 07 June 2005).]

[This message has been edited by boom2it (edited 07 June 2005).]

Tyeflies,

First I am sorry I missed the Fish-In, I could not getaway not even for a weekend. Your mention of a lodge for next year causes me to recommend the Riverside as a place that can accomodate 25 to 30. I stayed there with another group in early May and the facilities were excellent and only about 6 to 8 miles north of Roscoe. You can walk right out your door and into the Beaverkill. We were able to get a very good rate with our large group (around 28 of us). Just food for thought.

Jerry

------------------
    Dream the Life, Live the Dream
    Laugh at yourself first and all else falls into place
    Board of Directors, Valley Forge Trout Unlimited

[url=http://www.flyreeldots.com:0d39c]FlyReelDots.com[/url:0d39c]
    FAOL Sponsor
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

Yes, and I visit the fly shop at the baxter house riveroutfitters -what knowledgeable guides they have, I caught several fish due to their help. Thanks guys

8. Default

Wish I coulda made it...hopefully next year!

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

9. Default

Just to throw this around about having the Fish In 2006 up on the Ausable...There is ALOT of water to fish there. The river is super easy acess. Also there are quite a few bigger fish. I do like the Hungry Trout idea as they have the Fly Shop, Guides, Sit down restaraunt, Bar (which we could tie flies at), and acess to private waters. In addittion it would be a great place to bring your family becuase there is Lake Placid with lots of activities that other non fishing family members can do. And...you can even go to Fran's shop and he will tie you up an Ausable Wulff. The West Branch of the Ausable is a phenominal river!!!

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

Allan......once again...a great Fish In! Great weather, great rivers, great folks, all in all a great time! Thanks for all the hard work you put into organizing the activities........Jason

+ Reply to Thread