+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beaver Tailwater - White River, Ark

Default Beaver Tailwater - White River, Ark

I was there for three days last week and the fishing was very good. They were not letting any water out so it was all fishable. Rainbows were good on anything from a #8 olive Wooly Bugger to a #22 Zebra Midge in black (silver rib), olive brown (green rib), or gray (silver rib) and everything in between (Flashback PT's, SH Hare's Ears, CDC & Elk in olive, etc.) . A few browns were caught as well. The hybrid stripers were there also and we caught a few on white Wooly Buggers.
    Joe

Default Re: Beaver Tailwater - White River, Ark

I fish there often since I live only 30 miles away. I fished the artificials only area just last weekend. I might see you on the water there sometime. To bad there isn't some way to recognise fellow FAOL ers out on the river. I do often strike up conversation with other flyfishers but rarely we bother to exchange names.

That's true, we need name tags. It was my first time up there and I enjoyed it very much. I had some conversations with Steve at the Beaver Dam Store for a couple of weeks before I went. Now there's a true character. We stayed at the Spider Creek cabins next to the store and they were very nice - had a cabin right on the river. It was great also because there was hardly anybody staying there. I can just imagine how tough it is to wade if they're letting water out, though. It was beautiful with the Dogwoods in bloom and the fish so cooperative. I will be back, that's for sure!
    Joe

I fish there regularly also as I live in NW Arkansas. Yea, you don't want to wade while water is running due to generation. I flows pretty fast and hard.

I agree it would be nice to meet fellow FAOL members. Unless we all got hats or something . . LOL

How far up stream were the White's/Hybrids?

wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Hi Wayne,
    The farthest below the dam we fished was around our cabin at the Spider Creek Resort and the hybrids were in there. We fished in the area a couple of hundred yards behind the dam one morning (between where they launch the boats and the dam) to get out of the wind and caught a few nice browns in the 15-18 inch range there. The scenery was spectacular. You could see the flag way up on top of the dam blowing straight out and hear the wind howling but it was quite calm down on the river. Beautiful. The rocks seemed ESPECIALLY slippery in that area!
    Joe

Joe -
    I have been looking at Spider Creek's website and thinking about a trip there. Would you go back again?
    Thanks,
    George

George,
    Absolutely, it was a great place. The Beaver Dam Store is right at the entrance to the cabins and Steve will tell you exactly what you need to know about which flies and where to go. Very nice cabins - houses, really. Or at least the one we had was. I recommend it.
    Joe

Thanks for the input!
    George

We started going to Spider Creek 20 years ago and still love the place, I highly recommend it. Also there is a dinosaur park across the street with a large pond. Used to you could fish the pond for the price of admission, although I never did I hear there is good bass fishing in it. If interested folks might ask if they still let them fish it.

Dan

+ Reply to Thread