After a while I will stop saying this: I am an old timer just returning to fly fishing after 30 some years; forgotten most of what little I knew.

If I still wanted to fish with plugs, lures bait, and Dupont Specials, I would not have a problem. But just like a confirmed prostitute; I refuse to go back to the old ways.

So; I have been eagerly awaiting for this spring; tying flies again; going out when the water was way too cold; practicing my casting; and mentaly catching hawg after hawg....I AM READY!

However, now the water (although warmer) is just this side of flood stage and rising daily; and the color is either too weak or too strong; depending on how you like your coffee.

What do I do? I don't want to wait; I am like a little kid with a new toy, and I wanta play with it. The Smallmouth are ready in the river, or should be; but the river is too high and dangerous for wading, or even floating in my flat bottom boat. I am casting from the bank with weighted streamers, nymphs, and buggy things; but I want to catch some smallies!
I have been fishing from just under the surface to bottom bouncing; but not on the surface.

So, anyone have any advice on what and how to use it?

Ken