+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waffle Wing

Default Waffle Wing

I have an old VHS of A. K. Best tying a midge emerger pattern. For the wing he uses a material called Waffle Wing. It was embossed and came in, I think, 1/8 inch strips. Anyone ever hear of it or know where I can get it?

Default Re: Waffle Wing

I am pretty sure it was the top of a ziplock bag. I like AK's patterns and tying instructions but have never tied a pattern with plastic wings.

John ----#****) <*)\\\>{

Thanks Ron! I'm going to check it out. I guess medallion sheeting would work, too! Wouldn't have to be translucent?

AK Gave 2 sources for obtaining this material...the first was the material that is used for computer covers...I have an old one here I need to relocate and work on...
    He said to use a clothing iron and lightly iron one side of the material so it would be a bit stiffer in use...
    The other place he mentioned was from a shop owner who got blanks or rods shipped into his shop wrapped in this same material

also the shop owner had packed and shipped it rather haphazardly and it had gotten wrinkled pretty bad and ironing it fixed that probelem as well......hope this helps out...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

The plastic bags used with a 'Vacum Packer' system have the same waffle pattern.

there is a material called web wing which is a synthetic sheet that has a waffle pattern and comes in many colors, from white/tranluscent to dark brown. it's made by hareline dubbin and should work for the pattern that you want to tie. it's the material john barr uses in his web wing caddis

Thanks, all! I have some pearlescent sheeting from Hareline, but it's hard to deal with. It's extremely thin and holds static electricity so it sticks everywhere. Now, that web wing seems like it would suit my purposes. I'll check out all the ideas and determine which one I like the best. Now that you mentioned it I did read somewhere one time about using the top part of a Ziplock bag.

Hi Lastchance,

It's definitely Ziplock bag tops. The kind that have yellow on one side and green on the other and when you seal them they turn purple or something along that line any way.

Regards,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Vendon
    Hi Lastchance,

It's definitely Ziplock bag tops. The kind that have yellow on one side and green on the other and when you seal them they turn purple or something along that line any way.

Regards,

Mark
    Hi Mark!
    Have you ever tied any of those midges? They look pretty cool and effective.

How about "yellow and blue make green"?
    Those are the ziploc bags AK recommended. The "waffle" portion is just above and below that "yellow and blue make green" line. It's a crosshatched pattern that he likes. So do I. And the price is right. Unless you're a commercial tier, one package will last a lifetime.

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

+ Reply to Thread