+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding to confusion

Default Adding to confusion

I realize that when a number of retailers want to establish a uniqueness to an otherwise common man-made material they will add some product name of their own and at best modify it slightly by adding some "sparkle" or something.
    But to extend this to the level of natural materials I consider extreme. We now see a very large supplier mislabeling his packages of Icelandic Sheep Hair and calling it Sea Hair. Only when you look into his catalog details do you find that it is Icelandic Sheep Hair. Many of us try to follow fly recipes and we certainly don't need this misleading information.

Default Re: Adding to confusion

Marketing theory is one of the most unexact disiplines that exist today. Which is pretty surprising, given our reliance on commerce as a species.

The problem is, they let the amatures play in the major leagues.

This is just another instance of it.

Somebody, with no experience or with no clue, just decided that since you can sometimes use this stuff for saltwater flies, calling it 'seahair' would generate more sales.

No one even thought that if you called it what it actually IS, then folks who were LOOKING for it would be able to find it.

Totally ridiculous, but what can you do?

It happens all the time across many industries and product lines.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Re: Adding to confusion

Just as Polar Fiber, Sea Fibre, Enriques Fibers, Angel Hair, Flashabou and the others do. I believe all of these are simply different thicknesses of mylar tinsel.

It reminds me of the old Certs breath-mint commercials, where they said each one had a drop of some super-secret miracle chemical called Retsin. Retsin was eventually discovered to be nothing more than a drop of vegetable oil!

It would appear that the principle of Caveat Emptor (Let the buyer beware) is still a good policy where advertising is concerned.

Semper Fi!

+ Reply to Thread