Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
I own one 2wt and if I had another chance to buy one for the fishing I do I would pass.

Mine is a 7'9" Winston LT-5 2wt and while it can be fun; it also has it's limitations. I use it on medium sized creeks when I know the biggest fly I'll be fishing is a size 16. While I know folks fish bigger stuff on 2wts and even 1wts; I just find that my 3wt & 4wt rods do a better job. I also think all of the arguments in favor of light weight outfits for more delicate and effective presentation are more about angler skill and casting ability than tackle. I effectively fish even the tinniest of flies on everything from a 2 weight to a 6 weight.

But hey; if you like them and they work for you; that's great!

One thing I can tell you from my experience is that for short rods from 5'0" to a 6"6"; when your intention is to fish on REALLY small brushy creeks; you may find that the very light tip of a 2wt line combined with a short leader and short cast; can make getting even a small fly out there a real pain in the butt. Yea I know you can over-line for these situations but why buy a 2wt when you plan on fishing it with a 3wt?

For my frequent VERY small stream adventures; I prefer a 3 weight or 4 weight for that reason. Streams like the photo Gramps posted are NOT what I mean by a VERY small stream. Gramps "2wt Water" IS a perfect place for a 2wt because you can make a backcast; but that isn't a 6"0" rod either. That creek is HUGE compared to places like this that I fish all the time:

As far as the little fish feeling huge factor; all I can say is try fiberglass if your budget won't allow bamboo. My main REALLY small stream arsenal is 90% fiberglass in 3-4 weights and the flex on a dink is awesome!
I wish I had made this post....thanks Bam