I love to fish a well known and often times very frustrating river that generally speaking, near home. I don't want to name the river in fear that trophy and meat hunters visit these pages. I am sure that this scenario plays itself out countless times on countless bodies of water across our country from year to year. The river of which I speak has a good number of very large trout that like to call it home. By very large Imean that they measure in pounds not inches, and can push the edge of 10-15 pounds and up. These trout can be caught on dries and nymphs, but what the really prefer is meat, aka. streamers. So far the best way to raise and hook into these fish has been to use spinning gear (I know, I'm sorry) and to throw rapalas that measure 3-5" at them. Before I continue I want to apologize to the purists, but I will have to deal with my sins and guilt. I am now hell bent on catching one of these monsters on a fly rod. To date I have been unsuccessful with dries and nymphs, another personal flaw that I am trying to remedy. I figure that the best way to tilt the odds is to start tossing some BIG streamers at them. I am thinking more along the lines of flies generally tied for bass and saltwater fishing. Decievers are my numberone choice right now, and I have a few other ideas as well. How do I know when fly is just too big for trout? I think that if a fly measures around 4 inches it should be about the size of the lures we were casting, and shouldn't be too big. Any thoughts? Does anybody have any other suggestions for large flies to try for these brutes?

Jeff