+ Reply to Thread

Thread: You ever had one of those nights!

Default You ever had one of those nights!

I travelled to the mouth of a local stream this evening and arrived to find dozens of little rainbows rising. The fish weren't too picky, and rose to blue winged olives, adams, parachute adams, and quills gordons.

There was rarely a lull in the action, and I landed a number of fish in the 6"-8" category. Two fish of 11" found themselves in my creel, but 4 fish in the 13"-16" range remained in the creek: two broke my tippet, and two freed themselves on spectacular jumps.

I learned two things tonight:

1. Don't use a tippet that is unnecessarily light, and

2. keep as little slack between the rod tip and the fly as is possible with out creating drag on the fly.

Well, I guess it was just one of those nights when mistakes need to be viewed as opportunities to learn.

I still had a blast!

Cheers`

Isn't that the greatest feeling in the world! I'll never forget about ten years ago I decided to take off from work early to float a fly. It was like I could do no wrong. something like 2 dozen nice bows and browns in about 2 hours. And best of all, I fished through My first spinner fall. Theres absolutely nothing like having trout breaking water all around you while picking mayflies out of your hair, standing in the middle of a freestone stream casting to a sheer rock wall covered in mountain laurel, and rodoendron. I'm ready to go NOW! lol

------------------
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot"
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

+ Reply to Thread