+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BB Canoe's

Default BB Canoe's

(boy I'm yakky today ....)

anyhow ......... just wondering - how popular / wishful are birch bark canoes in peoples ......... toy / wish list ?

Been poking about (like I need more to do) canoe building (stripper, not bb's). Wife caught me drooling over a Ray Mears episode where they were doing birch bark's. Cool stuff - talk about back to basics. Don't think I'll tempt making them though. But I like tinkerin and building - and canoe making fits in there (like rod building and fly tying).

darrell,

Default Re: BB Canoe's

It's definitely interested me, but at this point, time and space is a big issue of why not. There are a few guys in MN that are making them still, but the wait list is longer than it was for a Seliga when Joe was still around.
    Maybe some day, but for now I'm still looking for that great deal on an old wood/canvas.
    ONe thing's for sure, they are definitely a thing of beauty.
    -Erik

These guys can tell you something about them.
    http://www.wcha.org/

FWIW, from my research,( I've never actually built one) the BB canoe is a pretty cool thing but not all that light or durable. The cedar stipper ( I've built several of these) is a much more practical boat if you intend to use it. Light, reasonably tough and very low maintenance.

Good call on WCHA - they are a great resource. I have paddled quite a few cedar strips and would have to agree - but I've also paddled some poorly designed ones that were squirrely as all get out. I remember running into a group in the BWCA that i knew some members in and they begged me to take their strip boat because they were afraid to tip it again!
    From what I've seen on the BB canoes, they do require constant attention to maintenance.
    -Erik

I've also paddled some poorly designed ones that were squirrely as all get out
    Agreed. One of the blessings and curses of stripper canoe construction is that it begs to be undertaken by complete novices. Unfortunatly, few novices , once immersed in the process, can resist the urge to personalize their boat by modifying the plans/design they signed up too. Consequently allot of these canoe projects get seat of the pants, "going to make it better" design intervention that can't be corrected once it's built. Still, IMHO, if you start with a middle of the road/ non-specialized , mid sized, multi purpose published canoe design/ plan package, AND STICK to the plans, your going to be OK.

Besides, I jsut can't think of a better way to spend a winter than in the garage wading through cedar shavings.

thanks folks

Did a wee bit of searching on BB's and strippers ....... yup - both a bit more if / of anything and everything in them both. But I figgure venturing out on new waters (new building projects) - you listen to those that have been there - and once you learn, you venture out from there and adjust if you so incline (like fly tying) .......

Well - BB's do seem to be a tad more desireable - but moreso for ..... dunno, prestige I guess. But strippers , easier to build and maintain ...... lots of plans available, assistance is about, bla, bla, bla ........ still not sold on making them (well, I am - but wife and kids won't ever see me .............).

Would be another road of adventure ... paddle the canoe you built, to use the bamboo rod you crafted to cast the fly you tied, that's held on by horse hair you braided ........ only thing missing is to catch the fish you raised

darrell,

Some of the guys in my FFF club have build a number of stripper canoes and yaks.

Ya' can check out some of these kool craft out at http://www.loup-garou.net/
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread