+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greatest investment?

Default Greatest investment?

I'm curious to see what single piece of equipment (or whatever else) everybody considers their best investment in flyfishing - or, what has added the most to your fishing enjoyment? Was is your float tube? Learning to tie your own flies? Teaching someone else how to cast? I think these three things have returned me the greatest satisfaction.

The thing that has added the most enjoyment to my fishing experience is the gang I met at the Ozark Fish-In I threw back in 2003. There are still some of us that get together quite often and we usually have a major get together at least once or twice a year. There is allot of experience and wisdom that some of the others have and share. Me... I just go along for the ride....

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

Other than rod and reel, it has definitely been the kayak. It's opened up a whole new world of fishing.

Best investment in flyfishing?

Time. Investing the time it takes to learn different ways to do things and taking the time to fish and practice is really paying off in the pleasure this obsession provides.

Two! Breathable waders and a wadding staff.

2 things:
    1) Becoming a member of FAOL...The shared knowledge here, coupled with the many fine people I've met & talked to, have greatly increased not only my skill, but also my enjoyment of flyfishing.
    2) No investment on my part as it was a gift, but my "new" vintage bamboo flyrod. Fished with it yesterday & 'boos are something very special!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

The friendships I have made via a couple of on line boards, this one included. Normally I fish alone, and generally don't go deep into conversation beyond "what fly/lure are you using?". There are two people in particular who have really altered my learning curve in different situations.

15 minutes watching a fly fisherman catch a false abacore on Nantucket, while 6 of us threw everything we could with spinning gear for naught. That sparked my desire to fly fish. I can still hear his drag scream.

kirk

With all the rain we've had lately, I've been lovin that Helly Hansen gore-tex wading jacket my spice got for me several years ago.

To be truthful, it was a visit to a local fly shop and a run in with an old teacher I had. He talked about fly fishing and how awesome it was. I had alway's wanted to try it as I'm a pretty good spin fisher with all the gear, tube, pontoon kickboat and rods and reels one could ever need. Now I'm totally addicted to fly fishing and havent touched my spin gear in three months. I also have to say it was the saleperson that sold me my first rod. Not allowing me to buy a cheap setup declaring I would be wasting my money cause I'd be right back wanting something better.

I would have to agree with "time"

The more time you invest in the sport - the more you will gain from it. The more time you invest in the sport, the more people you will meet. The more time you spend on the same river, the more intimate your knowledge of it and it's trout becomes.

Brian

------------------
    [url=http://bowcrow.tripod.com:488b7]Bowcrow Fishing Adventures[/url:488b7]

+ Reply to Thread