+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spring Smallies

Default Spring Smallies

I love early spring. The only draw back is our water table is down by about 9 inches so far. We desperately need rain.
    The creeks are much lower than normal but the fishing has been incredible.
    Had a family outing this weekend and went exploring with the Gazeteer and a full tank of gas. Found about 20 streams I definitely want to spend more time exploring. Didn't get to put on the waders this trip but did manage a few nice fish in the slow runs near deep banks.

This is what I truly enjoy! These creek fish fight so hard and often will jump a dozen times. It's amazing when your waist deep in water and have a fish rocket out of 3 feet to eye level time and time again. Even more fun when you can't get in the water to land a fish. Talk about exciting. Oh the joy!

Happy Easter everyone! Spring...New Life... in all it's Glory!
    ~~~waders~~~
    Paths that lead to new adventures!

Streams that beckon to my soul!

And the fish that keep me coming back!

Default Re: Spring Smallies

What I love most about smallies are those Red eyes
    Your hooks sharp????

Caught a few rock bass the other day. They look so much alike except for the obvious size difference.
    Nice fish!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

Waders, the picture of the stream that you posted looks like exactly the size that I like. A big creek or a small river and I can be very happy.

Ed

This stream and many others are with in minutes of each other and all come from middle to west Tennessee. I was literally at the AL state line. My TN license has expired and it kills me to renew with the $81.00 price tag for OSNRTL (out of state non resident trout and gamefish license.) My AL is lifetime so I am covered. But yes like you I absolutely love this style of fishing and find the fish to be much more aggressive and spunky. Amazing what a little creek can hold as far as quality of fish. I cll them hidden jewels!

Best regards,
    Waders

P.S> Ed...I have land near Shelbyville...so I get up there often. If I can affaord the $81 scalping we will go fishing soemtime! Warren has already agreed to set up a trip! LOL

Waders, do you mind if I tag along?

Jack,
    I thought you were already in Warren's truck! Look forward to meeting you both. Dad was fond of Warren and enjoyed their fishing day together. Warren seems to be far more advanced in skill than I so I am looking forward to following his footsteps around the duck!

Keep me posted when you guys are planning an outing. Tried to get Warren to head out to Arkansas with us this month but I think he is having a hard time cutting the umbilical cord from work and Motlow! Oooops! I mean he sure is a hard and dedicated worker! Seriously though look forward to fsihing more up there.

There is a creek about 10 minutes form the farm that feeds into the duck that is loaded with red eye, pan fish and redhorse. I would love to get back and wade. It has literally been 20 years since I have fished it but cross overit from time to time and daydream of years past and bent rods!

See ya soon,
    Waders

Blog Entries

Wade, I would love to meet up with y'all for a day of fishing, but I work weekends. I am off on Mondays and Tuesdays. That is rough for socializing but great for quiet days on the streams alone.

Jack, I have a book for you. I'm going to try to get another next week so that Warren doesn't have to borrow yours.

Y'all catch some fish for me. I won't see daylight until the Tax Campaign is over...

Ed

Blog Entries

I suppose that I should share a little secret about these creeks. A lot of them have limestone bottoms. Although you might see hundreds of yards of shallow creek, there may be places where the limestone was weaker or damaged and these spots can host wonderful pools that can be a couple of feet or a couple of yards deep. There might be a mile of minnow water, and then that pool that seldom gets fished and has a small store of nice bass and bream. If you are looking over a creek and the stretch that you are looking at looks too shallow for nice fish, look in small pockets for bluegill or red-bellies. Often these are the hint that there is deeper water around somewhere. It isn't a guarantee, but it can be a hint.

warm regards,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread