+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cool Discovery!

Default Cool Discovery!

Here?s a cool story:

I was messing with my recently back from repair Orvis Flea bamboo rod and every time I tried to slide the rod bag into the tube; it seemed to hang up near the bottom. I pulled out the rod bag and looked inside with a flashlight and saw a rolled up piece of paper in the bottom. I figured it was a packing slip or some other promo material from Orvis. It turns out it was the ORIGINAL ?care & feeding? information card along with the attached registration card; looking all new and pristine like they did when this rod was built some time in the 1960?s!

I can?t believe that I?ve owned this rod for more than 20 years and it?s made two trips to Orvis in that time and I never discovered that bit of history lingering in the bottom of the tube.

Anybody else ever find any cool stuff in amongst their fishing kit that they didn't know was there?

Default Re: Cool Discovery!

Yes, I once purchased a lightly used E.F. Payne Rod for A&F that was presumed to be a model 98 7'. One day I was putting it back in its tube got a flash of light so I looked in the tube and saw something I didn't know what it was. I turned the tube over and after 3 minutes of shaking it the item fell out. It was the original E.F. Payne Hang Tag with Model 98 and 3 oz on it and an A&F insert tag that fit perfectly in the bag slot. Folded over and placed inside the tube and did not see the light of day until I spied it, it is in pristine condition too. Finding the tag made for a much better trade value just 2 years later when I traded it toward the E.F. Payne Model 100H I now cherish.

+ Reply to Thread