+ Reply to Thread

Thread: clouser minnow work great!

Default clouser minnow work great!

i went out w/ my dad and we were using some clouser minnows. we caught 10 fish on them!!! six largemouths and 4 crappies!! great day. we were using a brown adn white clouser w/ golden olive flashabou accent.

Default Clouser minnow

Hi David;
    What type and size of clouser did you use? where were you fishing? I'm in Charles County so could possibly use your patterns as a start.

thanks in advance;

wayneb

WHOA!!!!! wow your really close!!! well....i was fishing a size 6 brown and white chlouser with olive/chartruse flashabou accent. i was fishing on the pax river naval air station. there are five ponds there and if you can get in they are great to fish! i was fishing this clouser on my ultralight spinning rod, not fly rod. i would cast it to likely spots, like logs, weeds, points, coves, lilies, and anything else. then i would let it sink at roughly one foot per second and then start a slow retrieve with a few jiggles along the way to get the flashabou wavin. caught 4 crappie, one yellow perch, and five bass this way!!! PM me about any fishing realated stuff! its cool that you live in port tobacco. pm me and tell me some places you fish!

Dave,

That is extremely cool, that you used a Clouser fly in combination with an ultralight spinning rig!

I have a couple of fishing buddies who are teetering on the brink of getting into fly rodding but can't quite let go of the spinning tackle yet. I'll tell them about your Clouser approach. They'll probably give it a try. The Clouser, although closely jig-like, has a much slower descent rate than most of your typical leadhead jigs.

If you don't mind me asking, was it 4-lb. test line you were using, or 2-lb. test? Or 6-lb?

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Default Re: clouser minnow work great!

wooooo green font!!!! but anyways....i was using 6 pound test line tying a trilene knot thru the eye of a size 6 hook no problem. youre very correct about the descent rate. i was expecting it to sink fast...but it sunk at about a rate of 1 foot per second.

+ Reply to Thread