+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bobbin for floss

Default Bobbin for floss

Hi there,

I went to a Fly Fishing show on the weekend and there were tyers there using bobbins and Uni stretch floss for the bodies of their salmon flies. I have never used a bobbin for this but got to thinking that it may be a good way to control the floss and not waste so much by cutting it off. I don't think that 4-strand floss would work great but this Uni stuff the folks were using went on real smooth, no bumps, etc. I picked up a spool to try but I could not find a flared bobbin there like they were using. Do any of you apply floss this way? What bobbins do you use, there seems to be a wide array of them out there? Are they flared, ceramic?

thanks,

Dwight

I started using bobbins for my floss about a year ago. I use a flared bobbin. I definately like it. Less waste and the floss goes on smooth. Very nice when I am using the rotery feature on my vise. When the 4 strand floss attempts to seperate I give it a couple of twists and it is good to go. I do keep the space between the tip of the bobbin and the hook at a minimun so seperation of the floss is minimal if at all.

Dwight : I always use bobbins for Uni-Stretch for salmon flies . I find ceramic tipped ones ideal as they will not cut the material......Frank

+ Reply to Thread