+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When things go walking

Default When things go walking

Hi,
    Well, back from fishing the Ngongataha Stream again. My wife Vanessa caught a recovering 1 kg, 41 cm, rainbow at the mouth of the Waiteti in the morning. I fished the Ngongataha for the rest of the day. River was high and muddy. Only had one strike the whole day.

And, returned to the find the car was broken into. Smashed the front passengers window and stole my fly tying kit out of the backseat. I had forgotten to take it out when I dropped Vanessa off where she had to give her talk. The funny thing is that that very morning we were in a fly shop and I said that there was nothing more I needed just then.

The police dusted my CD's (apparently they didn't like my taste in music as the CDs were all there, but on the floor). They were able to get some good prints, but of course, they may be mine or Vanessa's. They have our prints for elimination. So now, rather than tying up replacment flies, I'm writing a list of all the stuff that was in the kit for insurance. The car insurance covers the window, etc, but not contents. We're not sure if our contents insurance policy covers the content of the car; we're looking into that.

I'm just glad that I had taken Vanessa's rod and vest, etc, out out, and that I had all of my other stuff on me for the day.

Anyway, at least it was nice on the river for most of the day.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

We are starting to get that a lot of breakins over here also. I guess they are targeting fishers because the vehicles are usually parked for the day. Pretty sad situation.

Regards Mike
    Inside every old man is a young man saying " what the hell happened "

Three years ago, my entire car was stolen along with all of reels, vest,flies and other stuff(no rods). The car was found a couple of days later stripped. My Homeowners insurance policy covered my fishing gear. Give that a try.

CARE package time!!
    I'd hate to have any of my tying "stuff" taken, but more than that I'd "hate" to "have" to shop for new stuff!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

My household insurance covered me when someone broke into my truck and stole My Wal mart rods and reels. I had 3 of the $50.00 rod-reel-line-tippet outfits in the truck . You know, the cheapest combos you can buy. As well as the cheapo's there were two more expensive outfits in there. They also stole an expensive camera and some binoculars which made it worthwhile to pay the deductable and put in a claim. I added the fishing stuff to the list. It was all covered in the insurance.

I was surprised to find that they left my Dragonfly and my Sage rods were left behind. I assume it was because the thieves were drawn to the brighter colors of the el cheapo wally world rods.

I used to have an MG Midget automobile with a Fabric top. Three times someone broke in by slicing the top so they could open the door to steal the absolutly nothing that I used to leave in the car. The stupid part is that you can just unzip an MG from the outside, you don't have to cut a hole in it.

Crooks may be nasty , but they sure aren't very smart.

I hope your Household insurance covers your loss.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Hi,
    I bumped into a fellow FF club member who also works at one of the fishing stores. He knows how I can get a quote if I can list everything. Surprisingly, this wasn't as hard to do as I first thought it would be. I guess I knew that kit pretty well. Anyway, the insurance company doesn't open until 8:30, so I won't know if they'll cover it or not just yet.

When I was at the car, another fellow came back off the river. He was looking for me as he noticed the damage a few hours earlier, but I was up river and he was down. Anyway, he was broken into a few years ago at a different location. The guys were eventually caught. Turns out, they were from Auckland (about 2.5 hours away) and what they would do is just drive to all the fishing spots and raid all the cars. They were tied to a large number of breakins by finger prints. Hopefully, the prints they found on the CDs will be "in the system" and not one of my own.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be a wee bit shocked when I get the list "quoted". I'm glad I didn't go for the junglecock cape that was for sale recently!

Thanks for the CARE package offer Betty. If the insurance covers everything, then I can get it all back in one big go except for one or two hard to find bits. Even if not, it will be ok. It will take some time to replace stuff, but NZ is an isolated ecosystem and as such has pretty strict rules on importing animal products like furs and feathers, etc.

Also, Vanessa still has her kit, and after seeing me sitting at my chair watching TV, which is where I normally set up to tie (and apparently looking very pathetic), she offered to let me use her kit So, all is good in the world again.

- Jeff

Jeff, Sorry to hear you had trouble with the ratbags in Rotorua, I remember a couple of years ago the cops got a couple of locals from Rotorua and they were put away for a couple of years after pleading guilty to hundreds of break ins on cars at fishing spots. While they were staying at the big house the reported car break ins in the area dropped by about 90 percent.
    Hope you get it all sorted, if there is anything you have trouble replacing let me know and if I have any of whatever it is you are welcome to some of mine.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Hi,

My Insurance does cover the replacement. I'm currently getting quotes (and have realised that my kit was about 3 to 4 times more expensive than I guessed!). Who ever thinks tying flies will save you money has either never done the maths, or is burried under a huge pile of flies somewhere! ha!

- Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thomas
    Jeff, Sorry to hear you had trouble with the ratbags in Rotorua, I remember a couple of years ago the cops got a couple of locals from Rotorua and they were put away for a couple of years after pleading guilty to hundreds of break ins on cars at fishing spots. While they were staying at the big house the reported car break ins in the area dropped by about 90 percent.
    Hope you get it all sorted, if there is anything you have trouble replacing let me know and if I have any of whatever it is you are welcome to some of mine.
    All the best.
    Mike.
    Hey Mike,

Thanks for the report on the thieves getting caught. Sometimes bad people really do get caught and find out that if they do the crime, ultimately they have to do the time. Bravo!

Your kind and very generous offer to share your personal items with Jeff, is one of the very reasons I appreciate outdoorsman and especially flyfishers, they have heart. One flyfisher reaching out to another who has been hurt to help lift him/her back up, that's the sign and heart of a true "Brotherhood"!

Mike, I'm honored to call you Brother!

Kindest regards,

Terry

PS. Jeff, not to steal Mike's thunder, but if there's anything else that you still need after receiving help from Mike, please let me know, I'd be proud to also lend a helping hand if possible.

"The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

Jeff, the violation of your private space is a grievous thing. I am sorry this was done to you and your good lady. best wishes for every good thing in the future.

+ Reply to Thread