+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lamson large arbor

Default Lamson large arbor

Anyone have any experience with the Lamson Litespeed Fly Reels? I think that is the reel I saw a few photos of in the Feb. fly rod & reel mag. Although it was never stated that that was the reel, I searched the net and found what appears to be the reel.

I have the Litespeed 3.5 which I use for my saltwater shooting heads. It is a nice light reel with a good breaking mechanism - the same as in the Waterworks ULA which costs a lot more, but is even lighter. Carries a lot of backing and retrieves line nice and quickly.

If I was going to be super critical, I would say the drag adjustment is recessed and can be a little tricky with cold fingers.

I would recommend it as a reel. Usual rinse in cold water after every session has seen it right.

------------------
    JME
    @===----?----?----?
    Member of B.A.S.S [url=http://www.ukbass.com:956db]www.ukbass.com[/url:956db]

[This message has been edited by JME (edited 04 February 2005).]

Fishigan,

I use the Velocity 3.5 ... less expensive than the litespeed, same drag and the drag ajustment is more predominant.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    Christopher Chin

4. Default

I can't recommend the Lamson reels enough, they seem bullet proof, light and very effective. The drag is extremely smooth with a very wide range of adjustment. I too fish with a Velocity and it's my favorite reel. The drag knob is easily accessed, even with gloved hands, but I don't accidentally bump it or otherwise mess up my drag settings. Very nice product. My buddy has a few Litespeeds and his sentiment is similar to mine, good stuff.

Buy it!!! I can't say enough about it. As everone else stated they make a great product no matter which model you choose. You won't be unhappy.
    Eric.

I have the v4 the biggest in the Velocity range. It has the exact same drag as both the ULA and the Litespeed, and I like the price better.

There are some fairly major unmentioned differences between the velocity and the litespeed. The spool on the velocity is actually two well attached pieces, the litespeed spool is one. The litespeed has a slightly larger arbor, which has benefits, but often also means you have to be more careful when winding line on to the reel. The other difference is the finish. The putty grey finish on the litespeed is actually a different type of anodization than what is available on other reels. It is the hardest possible fisnifh on aluminum. Its only drawback, is that it only produces that color, which has turned some people off from that reel. Used to sell them, still love them.

I think the drag knob is more accessible on the velocity, but don't really care as i generally don't touch it once a fish is on.

In terms of performance, I think the Waterworks reels are all very similar. (those with drags, anyway) The main difference as you go up in price is the reduction in weight. REDUCTION IN WEIGHT MAY NOT BE A GOOD THING! If you have a very light rod, say a 2 piece XP, the ULA might be a perfect match. If the rod is a 5 piece RPLXi, you might be better off with the Velocity. I would try the reel and line on the given rod before you buy.

very good point to try it on the rod....

Thanks for the input. I'll check out that Velocity.

+ Reply to Thread