+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wading with PFD's

Default Wading with PFD's

Last summer I took a solo trip out West and found myself fishing some big waters in relatively remote areas. Since I have pondered my foolishness. I do wade with a collapsable staff worn on wading belt.
    This last year I have also trialed a hip pack rather than a vest, and am leaning towards staying with the vest. I really dont like chest packs, as I cant see my hands.
    Was wondering who wades with an inflatable PFD. What type - hip pack, suspender-type, or built-in to a vest.
    I worry that an around-the-waist PFD might be difficult to get to in a hurry while wearing other belts, or too easy to inadvertantly activate while beating the brush.
    Most of the vest/PFD's Ive seen, seem very bulky, limited in useable space, and probably hot in the summer.
    This summer I plan to repeat the trip, but I wont be going solo. However, I still think wearing a PFD on big water is a good idea.
    Any thoughts?

Default Re: Wading with PFD's

Steubo - I use a Sospender vest with a manual pull. It fits just fine under my vest. Cabelas now has its own brand for $80. I wear it whenever I wade alone or on big fast water & I use a staff. I bought the PFD before I started wading, so today I would definitely check out the vest/PFD combos.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

Blog Entries

I just bought a Mustang fishing vest with a manual pull inflator. It is the same size as a regular fishing vest . Its Very comfortable with all the pockets of a regular vest .One pocket is given over to the floatation triggering device . That is the only difference . You hardly know you are wearing it. It is Made by mustang and looks just like the vest in JC"S review. Cost me $212.00 in Canadian funds. $180.00 before taxes. So that would be about $160.00 US
    Ps it comes in sizes s-xxl .

Last year on the Selway River I tripped on a large rock which caused me to run forward a few paces. I had to fling myself to the ground so that did I not run right into the river. It was on the edge of a deep fast run. If I had gone in there I would have been in a good deal of trouble.

Last year I looked at the vest I just bought. It seemed really expensive so I passed on it. At the moment I almost fell in the rapids it looked dirt cheap.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

I use a Stearns waist belt PFD that is manually inflated by a CO2 cartridge. Never go near the water without it now for 7 years. After this long I do not even know it is there.

See: http://www.stearnsinc.com/Recreation/NC ... lection2=0
    Max

I personally do not use a pfd while wading. Too bulky. I rely on my swimming skills to temper the possible pitfalls.I know, I can hear in the background " it's good swimmers that drown. Bad swimmers either stay away from the water or take proper safety precautions". Unfortunately I have had many opportunities to test my aquatic skills while wading in the past and would not discourage anyone from wearing them however. They're just not for me.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread