My buddy and I kicked off Spring with a very succesful late afternoon on a private pond out in the country. The Bass were lethargic and small (they have been caught over 10lbs in this pond), but the Shellcrackers and especially the Bluegills were VERY aggressive and very big. The popper would barely land before it was immediately smashed if I landed it in the right spot. While taking a break (tying on a new fly) my buddy threw out a spin-rod plastic worm rigged weedless by a downed tree. Short story, he landed a HUGE yellow perch. I would guess it to be 1.5-2 lbs. It was the only one we caught all day, and the only one I have ever seen come out of this pond. We threw him back, but next time Im looking for dinner, my question is how do you target that species on a fly rod?

This pond is about 5 acres, temperature was about 70, light wind, sunny. Water was probably high 50's, fish were active except for the bass which were biting but barely even putting up a fight. Normally, the Bass run the pond, and a typical day on it is a 30+ fish in 2-3 hour day. This perch came out of nowhere and I would like to go back and try for a few more for the dinner plate, preferably without having to go thru 100 bass to find him. Any suggestions? Fly? Tactics?