So, I've always used a clinch or improved clinch know for tying flies to my tippet. After reading a few articles I've been thinking about knots that will hold with a loop on the fly for more natural action, especially on wet flies and streamers. I am an ice climber and started thinking of knots I use while climbing. I figured that if I trust my life to a knot, why not trust a fly or fish on the same knot. The knot used to tie yourself (via a harness) directly into the line is called a Figure 8 Follow-Thru.
To tie it simply tie a single figure-eight knot in your tippet by tying an overhand knot with one more loop around so it looks like an 8. Take the tag end through the eye of hook and then follow it back through itself in the knot. It may sound difficult, but is really one of the easiest knots in the world to tie and it WILL NOT COME UNDONE. Additionally, it is used in climbing because it is one of the strongest knots you can tie.
My catch rate on streamers and wets has doubled since using this knot, so I thought I'd share. Anyone else use it?