I don't know how many of you out there like targeting pike and musky, but if you are like me you hate to have them hooked only to have them bite through the leader. Maybe this little tip will help you land a fem more. For several years now I have been using Spider wire Stealth for a bite guard on my leaders. It's limp and light and holds up to those toothy critters preaty well. I tie all my own leaders and this is the formula I use for pike/musky.
18" of 50# hard mono
18" of 40# hard mono
12" of 30# hard mono
12" of 20# hard mono
12" of 15# hord mono
12" of 20 t0 30# super line
At the tip of my super line I tie on a 20# duo-lock clasp to change flies at will. A little drop of super glue or fishermens glue on the knot will help stop it from slipping.
These leaders are 7' long and will turn over the large flies associated with pike and musky with ease. Also for you out there who might think these fish are line shy, Berkley just came out with their Fireline crystal wich is a clear super line. When I'm fishing my local river I use these leaders when I go for smallmouth as well, you never know when a pike or musky will be lurking in the area. Don't worry about the rod, the 15# mono is the break off point for these leaders. I made these leaders to be thrown on my 8wt and 10wt rods, so anything above an 8wt. will handle htese leaders, if using a 5 to 6wt rod down size the leaders a bit. Start with the 40# and end with 10# mono then tie on the super line.
I hope this was usefull and good luck with the season! Dave