+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finally!!

Default Finally!!

Today wasn't the first time I got out this year, and the fish we caught today weren't the first for the year, either. But it was the first REALLY good day of the year. My dad and I were fishing the inlet creek above one of the local city lakes and absolutely hammering the crappie. We didn't count, but we must have caught at least 100 apiece. None of them large, but we were fishing pretty light rods, so that's okay, too. The whole purpose of the trip was to test fish some minnow patterns I'd tied over the winter for white bass. I'm taking this as a good sign . Next week my fiancee and I are heading out to feed the same flies (hopefully) to the white bass and hybrids in the Manhattan/Junction City area of central Kansas. We'll let you know how it turns out. I'm buying a digital camera (finally!) so maybe there will even be pictures!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Sounds like a Tuttle Creek trip. JGW

BG222...I WISH I COULD HAVE ATRIP LIKE THAT, 2WKS AGO HAD A 60 BLUEGILL TRIP...BUT EVEN THOUGH MY HANDLE IS CRAPPIE CAT....SO FAR VERY LITTLE LUCK W/ CRAPPIE....BUT AGAIN I'M JUST A NEWBIE!!! I WILL KEEP TRYING, JUST LIKE I DID TODAY!!!!!
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

white43-- yep, that would be the place, with maybe a side trip to Milford. Any tips?

CRAPPIECAT-- hang in there, this was the first good crappie outing for me, everything until now had been bluegill and a couple bass. And they were all small, so don't get too jealous
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

You wouldn't want any tips from me. I haven't set my butt in a Tuttle Creek boat since 1967. I remember it fondly as a fine crappie lake. My fishing partner, who owned the boat, was quite the crappie snob. Anything else with the audacity to suck up one of his minnows was junk fish. Oddly, I can still picture him, his boat, the steep banks of the lake, and cannot think of his name. he was the safety director back then for the Kansas Farm Bureau. I remember the tailwater being good for cats when it wasn't roaring. JGW

+ Reply to Thread