+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain Fork, Okla, Help Needed

Default Mountain Fork, Okla, Help Needed

I'm going up to the Mountain Fork for a couple of days before Easter and, although I live less than 4 hours away, I've never been. Your suggestions for inexpensive fishing cabins to rent (for 2 fishermen), which zone to fish, fly patterns, etc. would be greatly appreciated. The reports I've seen on the web have recommended "mayfly and midge patterns". I was hoping for a little more detailed information.
    Thank you in advance,
    Joe

Default RE: Moutain Fork, OK

Joe,

You need to go see Steven Woodcock at Backwoods Equipment in Fort Worth. The entire crew over at Backwoods is excellent when it comes to providing information about local areas to fish, but Steven has an absolute wealth of knowledge about the Broken Bow/Lower Moutain Fork area of Oklahoma. He can even point you toward lodging in the area. I've been doing some preliminary looking into cabins in that area and here are few companies I've found (these may be more elaborate than what you are looking for), but I'd deffinately talk to the folks at Backwoods(817-332-2423). They are the closest thing we have to a local fly shop here in Ft. Worth. They can also help with fly selection and have a pretty good supply of materials if you tie your own.

http://www.southeastokcabins.com
    http://hiddenhillscabinsok.com

Here is a general site that has links to other cabin rentals. http://brokenbowchamber.com

Hope this helps.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Thanks, Brian. I was planning on going by the Backwoods today to talk to Steven and get his recommendations. I bought my first fly rod there over 20 years ago when they were the Orvis dealer and have been a regular ever since. I'm sorry Main St. Outfitters is gone, partly because of Craig but mainly because I miss Trout, his dog. Trout and I were big pals.
    Thanks for the websites. I'll check them out.
    Joe

Joe,

I miss Main Street Outfitters for the same reason. My daughter loved that dog!

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Brian,
    I ran a golf shop across the street from Main Street back when it really was downtown on Main Street. Craig and Trout would come by sometimes at lunch and ask me if they could get me something wherever they were going. A few minutes later, here Trout would come in the door with a bag in his teeth and give me my lunch. That was one cool dog!
    Joe

Joe,

I'm sure I stopped in your shop then once or twice when I worked downtown. I always liked the downtown Main Street Outfitters more than when they moved over to the west side.

Best,

Brian

The best place for current info on the Lower Mountain Fork can be found on Sid's website www.beaversbendflyshop.com. Sid is the owner/operator of a flyshop inside the park. Sid answers his email if you have specific queries and there exists a cast of regulars who fish the waters and chat by way of that website's message board. The LMF is home waters for all of NE Texas insofar as trout are concerned and Oklahoma's trout records have been caught just below the park. I am a big believer in supporting one's local flyshops so by all means keep up the business with your Fort Worth shop. But if you need extras Sid's place is handy and right on the river INSIDE the park, very reasonable, and he keeps a pot of coffee brewed if you want to drop in to chat. By the way his son graduated from A&M about two years ago if you want to steer the conversation thataways. Sid has been a great help and friend both to me personally and to my sons when they've gone up there without me.

As to inexpensive cabins I know of none and the cabins I have heard about aren't cheap at all. You might have better luck finding an inexpensive hotel room just 20 minutes away in the city of Broken Bow, OK. If I stay the night I generally stretch out in the back of my truck or pitch a tent. The restaurant in the park is a great place to eat.

Jim Stocks
    Tyler,TX

Joe,
    I often do well with mayfly and midge imitations. There are also a lot of caddis flies on the river, and ants may be active by Easter.

When you go to the web site posted by Jim, you'll find weekly fishing reports with recommended flies going back two or more years. There are also a few threads about favorite flies for the river.

As for places to stay, you'll find recommendations on the message board of the same web site. There are also some lodging recommendations on the Three Rivers fly shop web site. Like Jim wrote, however, your best bet may be lodging in Broken Bow.

NOTE: The fishing regulations for the river changed this year. A new area has been changed to barbless lure only with a limit of one 20" trout or larger per day. Any of the fly shops mentioned in this thread should be able to give you the details. They should also be on the ODWC web site if it has been updated.

Enjoy your trip. It's a beautiful place.
    Tracy
    Tracy

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

Brian, Jim, and Tracy,
    Thanks for the information. I'll go by the fly shops when I get there to see what patterns and which zones are fishing the best. I'm a little concerned about Easter vacationers (like me!), but hopefully I can find a spot or two of isolation. I'm looking forward to seeing and fishing it for the first time. Thanks again!
    Joe

You're right about the crowds. If you fish Zone II to escape them, I recommend cleats if you have them and a staff. The rocks are VERY slippery.
    Tracy

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

+ Reply to Thread