The best place for current info on the Lower Mountain Fork can be found on Sid's website www.beaversbendflyshop.com. Sid is the owner/operator of a flyshop inside the park. Sid answers his email if you have specific queries and there exists a cast of regulars who fish the waters and chat by way of that website's message board. The LMF is home waters for all of NE Texas insofar as trout are concerned and Oklahoma's trout records have been caught just below the park. I am a big believer in supporting one's local flyshops so by all means keep up the business with your Fort Worth shop. But if you need extras Sid's place is handy and right on the river INSIDE the park, very reasonable, and he keeps a pot of coffee brewed if you want to drop in to chat. By the way his son graduated from A&M about two years ago if you want to steer the conversation thataways. Sid has been a great help and friend both to me personally and to my sons when they've gone up there without me.

As to inexpensive cabins I know of none and the cabins I have heard about aren't cheap at all. You might have better luck finding an inexpensive hotel room just 20 minutes away in the city of Broken Bow, OK. If I stay the night I generally stretch out in the back of my truck or pitch a tent. The restaurant in the park is a great place to eat.

Jim Stocks
Tyler,TX