+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Southwest Pennsylvania Fly Fishing?

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Default Southwest Pennsylvania Fly Fishing?

Anyone have any suggestions on Flyfishing SW PA? I just moved to the Cincinnati area and have heard that there are some decent trout streams there but don't know where to start.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks...Jim
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Dear Jim,

I am not familiar with fishing in SW Pennsylvania, but a good place to start looking for information is at the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission website.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/mpag1.htm

They have interactive maps for all the Counties in the State as well as a wealth of searchable articles and publications about fishing opportunities in the State.

If you want information about a specific waterway just pose a question here on the board. You may not get a direct answer in the thread, but somebody will probably send you an instant message with details.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Wow - what an excellent resource that web site is!!!! I love the ability to find all the info linked right ot the county. Looks like there's a lot more trout activity in the south western part of the state than I first suspected.

Thanks for sending!

Jim,

I'm from SW PA (Somerset County) and now live in Waynesville, OH (just north of you). Lots of good FF in that area. Here are a few I've fished and recommend:
    Loyahanna Creek, Indian Creek, Laurel Hill Creek, Youghiogheny River, Meadow Run, Wills Creek, Ben's Creek, Castleman River, Four Mile Run, White's Creek, and the list could go on and on. You've already seen the PA Fish Commision Site so that's a good starting point. All the creek and rivers listed above are in the Somerset, Westmorland, and Fayette County areas. Many, many other I've not fished. Feel free to send me a PM and we can talk more on this if you'd like.
    Joe Bertolini

hey joe - thanks for the info! SW PA is going to be a destination a couple of times this summer - going to meet a friend half way - I'm from Cincy and he's from Phily.

Most of my stream time will probably be spent in SW Ohio - I've heard that the Mad river has some good trout fishing, as does the tailwaters of the Brookville Dam in Indiana.

One thing I haven't had time to do is join BUFF, but will do that as soon as i get a minute - everyone I talk to tell me what a great resource it is and after looking at their website, I'd have to agree!

I'll definitely drop you a PM a little later when I'm closer to tossing a line to see if you have any suggestions for fly patterns.

THANKS and tight lines!

Jim

Yes there are many FF opportunities in SW OH. The Mad is certainly a river worth checking out. You'll find it to be something other than classic trout waters but it is certainly worth the trip. The Brookville TW is supposed to be excellent and while I've spent some time looking at it I've not fished it (I work for the Corps of Engineers at Caesar Creek and Brookville is one of the lakes I also help manage). That's going to change this year. I'm definitely going to Brookville and fish.

Don?t overlook or underestimate the warm water FF opportunities that exist in SW OH. There are lots of really good smallmouth streams, pan fishing and other warm water species worthy of tossing flies too. Those rods aren?t just for trout.

Let me know when you?re going and I?ll be happy to make some recommendations for possible flies.

Contact me and maybe we can get together and fish sometime.
    Joe Bertolini

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the additional info - and yes - would love to cast a line with you sometime. maybe we can both sneak away and meet at Brookville. The Indiana non-resident license isn't too bad either ($35) - that's what we paid for a resident license back in South Dakota!

I've also heard many, many great things about the smallie fishing around here and will definitely cast a line towards them too. But I really miss that little flash of silver in the water right now and am awfully homesick for the streams and creeks in the Black Hills.

But I have a hunch that the fishing around here may help me forget it...or at least not want to pack up the car every weekend and drive out there!

When it's gets closer to fishing time - I'll drop you a message to check your schedule. THANK YOU for all your help!

Fatman Guest

check out www.flyfishersparadise.com and check stream conditions or just ask and the guys will help you out.

Fatman

a couple of other stream you may wish to try close to the OH/PA border are little beaver river, neshannock cr, slippery rock cr, shenango river TW are a good dual use, trout and smallies, streams to try.

+ Reply to Thread