+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boats like plugs

Default Boats like plugs

OK. So this is more of a "don't be stupid like me" post.
    It took like 2 minutes for me to remember the plug and thank God the trailer was still in the water!

10 minutes after getting it out of the water the last of the water was dripping out!

The 7.3L diesel didn't notice the extra water however

I have never done that before and hopefully for my nerves I won't ever again.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

My first time alone with a boat happened when I took my girl friend to a local reservoir for some fishing.
    What could go wrong? I backed the boat down the ramp, pushed and pushed and the boat wouldn't get off the trailer!!!
    Some guy was walking by and he said "YOU STILL HAVE THE TIE DOWN STRAPS ON!"
    So boats and murphy's law are pretty much the same.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    My first time alone with a boat happened when I took my girl friend to a local reservoir for some fishing.
    What could go wrong? I backed the boat down the ramp, pushed and pushed and the boat wouldn't get off the trailer!!!
    Some guy was walking by and he said "YOU STILL HAVE THE TIE DOWN STRAPS ON!"
    So boats and murphy's law are pretty much the same.
    Doug
    Doug...today ..this is the one that will have me going to sleep smiling ...actually ..

My dad actually almost lost a boat when the the plug came out while cruising around. Luckily it must have come out in the dock area on the way back in and onto the trailer. His buddy sitting in the back had never been on a boat before (they were skiing not fishing) but asked my dad, "Hey is the boat supposed to be filling up with water?!" It was an inboard/outboard, so had a regular engine that was half under water. Had to do some major work, but got the boat running again and made sure he had the right size plug and that it was always tightened down.
    Leave No Trace

Little known fact.
    If you are away from the shore and realize that the you forgot the plug. Do not panic. Get the boat to move at hegh speed on the plane. As long as you can do that water will actually drain out. Of cours if you are on a small boat without planing capability then please by all means PANIC!!!!
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

we have a pump to get water out of the boat. ussually me and my dad are together, so if we would start to notice some water, i could pump as he is motoring us back to the dock

Being a relativly newcomer to boats, I have witnessed the missing plug at least 4 different times while launching or taking out. I have to say however that the funniest thing i have seen at the dock is a guy mixing oil in his fuel tank for his brand new Honda 4-stroke 200HP motor! I was as nice as i could be trying to let the guy know that 4-strokes do not require oil in the fuel like 2-strokes, but all i got from him was the standard "Iv'e been doin it this way for years". I guess he didnt notice the two Honda 4-strokes on the back of my boat. Needless to say he did not get the motor started while we were on the dock despite him trying, and trying, and trying, and........

Upon returning from our day, the dock keeper came over to us while we were waiting to pull out, and said that the gentleman never got his motor started, read his owners manual to the motor, got real mad and left.

So to all, read the owners manual before you get to the dock, dont forget to put your plugs in, and by all means, take off the tie down straps!

Have fun, Jeff

Unless he put tons of oil in the tank that 4-stroke should run perfectly well on premix. I have a newer 4-stroke dirt bike and on occassion have had to put premix in it and it runs perfect on it.
    I don't know if there are sensors on those Honda outboard engines that get thrown off by the presence of the oil.
    But one this to think about is this. The air/fuel mixture is higher with premix than with regular gas.
    Less gas means more air in the mixture. It is a way to make the mixture more lean. Remember I am talking fuel/AIR mixture and not fuel/oil mixture here.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I've got a canoe and a Kayak, so i don't really have to worry about... i love fishing out of the kayak

Default Re: Boats like plugs

This might make you feel a little better!
    www.katu.com/news/6994412.html
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread