Having just been relocated to the west coast from the Houston, TX area (6 excruciating years) has proven to be a fly fishing bonanza. I just returned from a camp trip to the Sequoia National Forest I actually camped in a state forest located within the national forest called "Mountain Home State Demonstration Forest" it is located in the mid Sierra Nevada range. In 1978 Congress approved a bill to dedicate a substantial portion of the land to the east of the afore mentioned camp as wilderness, specifically, the Golden Trout Wilderness. The wilderness is a zero impact land use area and can only be accessed by foot or horse (no vehicles allowed including bicycles). There is much more to tell regarding the plight of the species of trout that resides here and the amazing geological forces over time that created the environment and species, but I want to focus on the fishing and asthetics. The ride from my house to the camp was under 4 hours. The scenery on the last third of the drive was absolutely spectacular as you ascend into the mountains. The whole area is marked by stands of giant trees, some having diameters of 27 feet and hundreds of feet tall. The wilderness can be accessed by three or four trail heads, but I entered from the west at the campground. I had planned to camp at a location right on the Tule river at the entrance to the wilderness. However, the road was closed about 5 miles from there as there was snow and fallen trees left over from winter that had yet to be cleared. CA and its mountains recieved twice the average precip this past winter and the tall peaks within the wilderness and the east face of slopes leading into the valley were sporadically blanketed with snow. As a result of the road closure we camped at the top of the mountain and hiked in to fish the next morning. The hike was about 4.5 miles first down into the valley to fish the Tule river and then 4.5 miles back up. We cought 4 fish that day (one 14 inches) and the river was flowing dangerously fast as a result the snow melt. Having hiked nearly five miles down and knowing we needed to hike up to camp (4000 ft difference in elevation) we decided not to continue into the Golden Trout Wilderness until the river flows slowed down and more of the snow melted. We are planning to go again in two weeks when the road down in is cleared all the way yo the entrance of the wilderness. While we were there we became aware of a pack station (which was not open yet due to the conditions described earlier). On our return trip we have arranged to have our gear packed in by horse and back out again. The cost for this trip (2day spot trip) is $75 per horse which is a bargain. The packers take you to a predetermined location where you can fish some of the most prestine rivers amongst the most spectacular scenery, perhaps without seeing others at all. while this may seem as though it is an epic journey, I plan to do this several times a year. I like my new back yard. If any of you have visited this spectacular region, please share your experiences.