Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
Quote Originally Posted by littlebrook
I'd like to use a shooting head and a reel full of ~35# braided running line for both floating and sinking lines on stillwaters this summer. So far, so good. BUT, when retreiving this stuff it seems to me I could shred my fingers on the braided shooting line. Not much interested in a floating, skinny, running flyline, especially with a sinking head. What can I wear to protect my fingers? If a fish nails my fly and runs like crazy I'd prefer to not bleed all over the fish and our canoe in landing it. Mittens are too clumsy. Leather gloves don't seem appropriate. Ideas?
Thanks.

Bill
Dear Bill,

There is a double sided cotton gauze tape you can buy to wrap your fingers with. I have a huge roll of it that I bought about 10 years ago that I haven't come close to running out of or I would probably remember the product name. All I know is that it's blue in color and it looks like thin Ace bandage.

It's primary use is as a veteranary bandage for wrapping up busted up dogs and horses and stuff so you may want to ask your veteranarian if you are pet owner. I've seen it in drugstores, but since I've never needed to buy more I didn't pay attention to it's name.

The stuff is awesome to use. You just wrap it around your fingers where the line might contact them and you are good to go. It is waterproof and won't fall off, in fact you have to cut it off at the end of the day. You look a little like Lester Hayes, the old cornerback for the Oakland Raider's when you are wearing it but you won't cut your hands.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,
Avalon
Avalon,
It sounds like you're talking about Co-Ban. When you get a blood draw, they often use this stuff to hold the cotton in place. It holds like tape but without any adhesive. It looks like it's extremely wrinkled. When you stretch it to put it on, it retracts slightly and the wrinkles hold it in place. Some sporting goods places will sell it as a product called Snake Skin. It's camo colored and used to wrap guns and bows in camouflage without using glue of any kind.