Hi All,

How many of you have built their own boats? How did they work out? Did the boat work out well for you for fly fishing and have a good lifetime?

I've wanted to build a small plywood fishing boat. Have wanted to do this from the time I was fairly young. Hadn't thought about the idea for years, but now that I am a bit older and have a little more time, am planning to build one some of these times.

I've thought about canoes, kayaks, etc. Now I have come down to a small fishing boat (maybe 13 or 14 feet) for fly fishing lakes, really coves in lakes, and a small pram for fishing ponds. The pram would be small enough to carry in a pickup. I want something big enough for at least one friend.

I am pretty good with tools, my hands, wood working, and have a high apptitude for this sort of thing. Also my background with solvents, and as an applied research chemist gives me a good understanding of glues, etc. In short, I am fairly confident that I can be sucessful using old plans from 1950s issues of Boat Builder's Handbook.

For the bigger boat I may use plans such as GlenL marine sells.

I like plywood because of it's strength and light weight. Will likely either fiberglass it or may use the old technique of light weight canvasing the boat. The canvas approach appeals because it is cheaper than glassing. The canvasing approach won't last as long, but should be good for several years.

Where can you find a product like the old "canvas cement"? Is it still made?

Any comments, thoughts, advise, etc.?

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf