+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Line Question

Default Fly Line Question

I really like the newfangled fly lines, slick and high floating, but not the memory. I have Cortland 555, but the memory drives me nuts. The new 555 with Dyna tip supposedly has no memory. Any thoughts on this line or one of its competitors? I searched FAOL and didn't see anything on the Dyna Tip.

To remove memory from a fly line is easy, any line stored tightly on a reel will retain a coil. Simple strip off the line and give it a little stretch, the line will now be straight and remain straight all day.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Ray,

It is my recollection that I have read on FAOL that others have experienced that 555 is particularly difficult on memory. I do stretch it out, but it has more memory than my 333 or the Wonderline I used.

Ray's right, it works like a charm. Same with your thread when tying fly's. Anyone have any experience with SA's XPS floating line? I'm thinking about WF-3W-F in XPS.

------------------
    Best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    Something I seldom remember to do.

I searched FAOL--there is disagreement on the topic, but several folks experienced excessive coiling with 555 that wasn't solved by stretching.

Sure. I'm not trying to jump all over 555. I bought some here on "for sale" board last summer. Fellow used it a few times and didn't like it. I started using it, and I haven't liked it too much either. I can stretch it out and within a few minutes it is coiling enough to tie into multiple loop knots--drives me crazy. I bought the 555 because the wonderline I was using was suffering from the first generation wonderline sinking tip.

I saw an ad for the new 555 dyna tip and it says "no memory." I am curious if it is better.

I use fly line in two kinds of situations: warmwater for gills/bass on ponds or from a canoe/kayak on lakes, and on a coldwater stream for trout--weather usually warm but the water in the 50's.

DD and JC, I'm one of the others who had the same problem with the 555 clear floater wf5. I fish mostly stillwater "kettle hole" trout ponds on Cape Cod. I thought that it would be nice to have the cutting edge tech flyline when I bought my 5wt outfit, especially for fishing trout sippng midges... The line has been a nightmare. I stretch it first and it makes little difference. A cortland rep warned me not to stretch it too hard or the hollow chambers would collapse. As bad as it is,I finally replaced it with a 444 classic peach. When I tried to purchase the 444 at my local fly shop, the owner tried to convince me to try the new Selective trout line just introduced. I told him I'd let someone else try the latest and greatest, just give me something that I know will work. I'm still a Cortland fan, I think their 444 clear intermediate and classics are great. I also like the CL series of rods and STH cassette reels; but that 555 is a stinker...Another floater I'd reccommend is the Wulff triangle taper.

I've started having the same problems with the 555. I have a 6wt and it was great the first season but I have not been able to use it at all this year due to the coiling. I really liked the line during the first season though. I guess I will have to hit the local fly shop in search of an Orvis Wonderline (which I have in other weights and like a lot) or an SA Mastery line which I haven't tried yet but seems to come highly recommended by the folks here on the board.

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

On the 555 dyna-tip line: It is different from the rest of the 555 series in that it does not have that extruded hollow core construction that tends to have high memory. It is built on a braided core like the more typical lines on the market. Here is a review of the line: [url=http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250&highlight=dyna-tip:ca724]http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250&highlight=dyna-tip[/url:ca724]

On the XPS line, I do have the WF3F and like it very well. I think it is one of the more delicate-presenting lines out there. The line will feel light in comparison to an XPS. The long front taper helps present flies softly onto the water, but will not give a lot of force. If you want the line for delicate presentations with small/light flies, its outstanding. If you want it to kick over hoppers, nymphs with shot, and poppers, you'll likely be frustrated with it. I like it as a specialized tool on my 3wt, but I will stick with something a little more powerful on my 4wt, which I force to be more of a "utility player".

Oh yeah, distance casting really isn't a problem with the XPS. I can throw 70' with my 7' 3wt just fine with it. You'll find that the short belly on the line helps it shoot fairly well.

+ Reply to Thread