I have had great luck with it. It is much much stronger than the thin end of your tapered leader and much stronger than the 5x or smaller tippet. I have never tested it on anything heavier as 5wt is the largest I fish with, but so far no failures.

For those that don't know how.

The way I do it is:
First work a "Needle from a needle nail knot tool" or sewing machine needle into the end of the fly line about 1/2 inch and poke it out through the side of the line at about 30 degree angle.
Next: VERY IMPORTANT STEP. Using about 180 grit or medium grit samdpaper, roughen about a 3/4 inch section of the tapered leader about 5 inches below the knot that comes on the leader, (go all around) DO NOT REMOVE THE KNOT YET.
Next: Thread the thin end of the leader into the eye of the needle a couple of inches. Then pull it through the tip of the fly line. Pull it almost all the way but stop right after the roughend portion goes through the fly line. What you have at this point is the fly line with the leader coming out of the center of the line with a small stub of leader sticking out of the side of the line with the knot on the end of the leader.
Next: Put a couple of drops of Zap-A-Gap cover the roughened area. (and the article I read recommended only this brand because it tends to be a little thicker than other ca glues)Then holding the knot on the leader and the tip of the fly line in that last 1/2 inch, quickly and smoothly pull the leader till the rough area with the adhesive on is embeded into the tip of the fly line. This may take a little practice, so try it a couple of times before you apply the glue to get the feel.
The Final Step. Clip the end of the leader whith the knot as closely to the leader as possible but don't damage the coating on the fly line. After doing this immediatly streach the leader and fly line slightly to embed any remaining leader tag back into the fly line and to remove any slight bend that may happen. I always put a small dot of glue onto the hole to completely seal everything.
Let sit for about an hour as suggested and you will have a very secure connection.

That's it I think it's a great connection if you dont change leaders often. I usually use 5x leaders and various tippet sizes depending on flies. The advantages I think this connection has is
1. totally smooth connection goes through guides easily.
2. Never gets grass or algea hung on knots.
3. since the end of the line is sealed the tips don't tend to get waterlogged and sink.
4. Tends to cast better because you don't have the extra weight at the end of the line.

Give it a try it's easier than it sounds and it is very worth it.

------------------
Be the heron!
Mike