+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flymph/soft hackle patterns

Default Flymph/soft hackle patterns

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. Is there a specific link on this site where there are flymph and soft hackle patterns stored?

Welcome to the board Lastchance.

If you go to the main page and click on the image of the fly of the week, it will take you to a page with the instructions for tying it, and also a box in the right upper corner with a link to "Previous Flies". If you click on that it'll take you to the fly archives where you'll find a soft hackle (2Q 2006) and Flymph (4Q 2004).

Lot's of great info here. Also check out the fly tyers info for beginner,intermediate and advanced tyers. You can get to those links off the main page as well.

Folks on the board are very knowledgeable and helpful, so feel free to post all your questions.

regards,

peregrines

You are welcome to any recipe or information on my site.
    http://www.dtnicolson.dial.pipex.com/
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

I highly recommend you visit Donald's site. Great web site for soft hackle and flymphs.

www.dtnicolson.dial.pipex.com/
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info, guys. I really haven't been able to explore the site as much as I'd like to. I jump on here at work, and well, you know, I have to work sometimes.

Hi,
    I also recommend Donald's page http://www.dtnicolson.dial.pipex.com/

He has lots of patterns (with photos of many of them), and other sections with very useful information.

Another site with lots of patterns, but fewer images, is www.wetfly.co.uk , which includes written description of many classic patterns that still work (no surprise there really). I'm currently tying up a bunch of Pritt's patterns to try out this weekend!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Jim Slattery Guest

There is plenty of info here:
    http://www.flymph.com

Hi Jim,

I've just added your flymph site to my favorites. Good stuff there.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Default Thanks for patterns

Thanks all for the information.
    Question: I've been fishing modern nymphs for the past 15 years and know when to fish them. Since flymphs, soft hackles, etc. aren't exact imitations of nymphs, caddis, midges, etc. how do you determine what fly to fish and when? Do you try and match them to what you find under rocks? Also, I read you can fish them on the same leaders and tippets you use for fishing dry flies. Is that correct? These flies are so cool!

Yup, if you can match them in size to stuff you find under rocks it'll be a help. While they're not exact imitations by a lot of folks, they look enough like a lot of different stuff that they really catch fish. I also think the soft hackles are great caddis pupae imitations, so if you see caddis cases you might want to try some of them.

IMHO most important would be to try and get something the same size, next important the right shade (light, dark, medium) and then color to stuff you see crawling around.

But they're also great searching patterns when nothing is going on. I often fish a partridege and green or partridge and orange down and across as a searcher if nothing is coming off. They're a "go to" fly for me.

And yes they can be fished in the film or just under the surface by greasing up the leader and fishing flymphs and soft hackles as emergers and soft hackles as drowned duns and spinners. They're very effective when trout are bulging the surface.

hope this helps.

peregrines

+ Reply to Thread