+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tadpole patterns for bass?

Default Tadpole patterns for bass?

Although I'm new to fly tying, and have only 5 years experience flyfishing (one year experience 5 times? ) I've been a fisherman for more than 50 years. This undoubtedly shapes the way I look at fly fishing.

Given the fact that tadpoles, especially small ones, are an eagerly sought prey by bass, why are there so few tying patterns for tadpoles? A search of the FAOL archives yielded just one, and it is far bigger than I'd prefer. I'd think a tiny tadpole pattern -- big black or black/brown head and skinny tail on a #12, #10, or #8 streamer hook -- would be very effective in shallow water during the spring. Any of you guys tie a tadpole pattern that works for you?

Never tied any myself, but I'm seeing a spun deerhair or wool head with paired hackles or a little marabou of the back.

Default Try this

Check out Harry Murray's site - he has a #4 Tadpole, but I think a black or brown Marauder (seen just below the Tadpole) might work and they come in the sizes you want. Hope this helps.
    http://www.murraysflyshop.com/fliessmallmouth.html
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

I had a friend use live tadpoles as bait a few times. Oddly enough, he couldn't have bought a "bite" on one of them. I've always wondered how other people have fared using them, whether it be bait or flies.

Forget the tadpoles, bass like to eat, tie on a full grown frog pattern.

Only thing I ever saw a tadpole catch is a kid w/ a cup.

I have no scientific evidence, but I was always told that I couldn't catch fish on tadpoles because they are poisonous.

Old Bald Guy,

I'll happily debate the original premise you stated, that tadpoles are an 'eagerly sought prey' by bass.

My experience is that this just isn't so.

Bass will go through a thick layer of grass to get to a frog, but I've seen them swim THROUGH a cloud of tadpoles to get at a baby bluegill or shore minnow.

Maybe RG/AR is correct, and there is some chemical reason, but I've never seen a bass eat one of the things. AND, I was the kid with the cup cacthing and using them for bait. Never worked for me.

In any event, bass just aren't that fly pattern picky anyway. A wooly bugger in a similar color to your naturals would be close enough if you really want to fish something that resembles a tadpole.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I don't know how true it is, but I was once told or read (sorry don't rememer which)that certain tadpoles don't taste good to bass, therefore they don't eat them. The adults on the other hand are a different story. I forget what type of tadpoles exactly, but part of me thinks bullfrogs were one of them.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

"Most fish are averse to eating bullfrog tadpoles because of their undesirable taste."

http://www.biokids.umich.edu/critters/Rana_catesbeiana

Of course this is "bull frog" tadpoles.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Well, gentlemen, it's happened to me again. One of these days I'll learn that it isn't the things I don't know that mess me up, it's the things I'm absolutely certain about that turn out to be wrong!

I'd have sworn that many years ago I witnessed a bass ravaging a cloud of tiny black tadpoles. Now you guys have me wondering if that cloud wasn't bullhead fry.

Do any of you tie a bullhead fry pattern that works well for you? <Insert tongue-in-cheek smilie here>

Seriously, thanks for all the great replies.

+ Reply to Thread