Please forgive me if this topic has already been posted, as I am not a regular participant here. I did a quick search of the board and did not see it. This is an urgent matter and we need everyone's support. If there is a more appropriate location for this post please feel free to move it.

There is a proposal at the executive level of Trout Unlimited which, if passed, would prevent TU from participating in stream access issues. I believe that most of us who are TU members see access and habitat improvement going hand-in-hand. Without access anglers will be less willing to donate their time and money to improve our cold water fisheries.

Please read these short articles to get the background of the issue:

[url=http://livingstonenterprise.com/news/:1f3db]Livingstone Enterprise Article[/url:1f3db] (page down a little to the article)

[url=http://www.newwest.net/index.php/topic/article/trout_unlimited_proposes_backing_out_of_stream_acc ess_debate/C41/L41/:1f3db]NewWest.net Article[/url:1f3db]

Please write your letter opposing this proposal TODAY if you have not already. TU's National Leadership Council (NLC) is meeting tonight, and we need to let them know how we feel.

Please direct your emails to:
cgauvin@tu.org (President of TU)
rteufel@tu.org (Board Chairman)
jwelter@ameritech.net (Secretary of NLC)

FWIW Mr. Welter, a friend of mine, is the Secretary of TU's National Leadership Council. In short, he is the "head" grassroots volunteer person in the TU heirarchy. Welter is very upset over the proposal, and fears what will happen to the grassroots support if the proposal passes. TU struggles already with the perception that it is a "rich boys club", and this proposal could really be harmful to "normal" guys like us who belong to, and work with, our local chapters.

Please write today and ask that Trout Unlimited not change from it's current position on stream access issues. Welter also suggests you ask that your email be forwarded to the other TU Trustees.

Thanks!!