+ Reply to Thread

Thread: jetty fishing?

1. Default jetty fishing?

curious how many have fished from a jetty with any success? in nearby Galveston the jetties don't exactly look fly-friendly as there's a rocky, slippery bank to the water to negotiate. so i think landing a fish, let alone casting can be hairy. any tips?

In the northeast, Stripers love the rocky outcroppings and they are wonderful places to find fish. They are also slippery, dangerous at times (especially with a heavy sea) and a great place to draw blood, break bones or develop twists and sprains. I do fish them, but with caution and whenever possible with a friend.

jed

Decide how you will land the fish before you make the first cast
    Wear Korkers, or some othe kind of traction (golf shoes)
    Never turn your back to the surf
    Baitfish hug the rocks, sometimes wading from the beach and casting along the edge of the getty is the way to go.
    Don't crowd the bait guys, tossing a long line around their heads tends to tick them off
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Good advice above. You'll also want a stripping basket to control your loose line. Landing fish can be a problem, walking a fish off the jetty and landing it on the beach may be the only way. As dudley mentioned think about landing a fish before you have a hook up so you have a plan. If it's not practical, fish the edges.

Be aware of rogue waves and boat wakes if you're fishing heavy surf or a low jetty, and tides especially on old long jetties (you don't want to get cut off out on the tip of a jetty by a high moon tide washing over a lower portion of the jetty, and what once was dry and easy to walk on on the way out can get pretty slick on the way in). A flash light or headlamp if there's a chance you'll be fishing close to dark just in case.

There are a lot of rock jetties up here, and the fishing can be excellent... hard to fish with a fly rod though. Each year it seems there are one or two folks lost, so be very careful.

peregrines

As said above, Korkers or other spiked shoes and a stripping basket are a must! Without the basket your line will get caught around the rocks if you try to move at all.

Remember that when you're standing up high waving your arms around, the fish can see you better than you can see them. Don't just cast outward from the jetty, but along the jetty as well so your fly hugs the rocks on the retrieve.

Hi Perfectloop,

I used to fish the jetties in a littel town south of Galveston called Freeport. There was some great fishing there. Ever Been?
    Steve

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rookie
    Hi Perfectloop,

I used to fish the jetties in a littel town south of Galveston called Freeport. There was some great fishing there. Ever Been?
    i've been to Freeport and go through it all the time on my way to Surfside and San Luis Pass, but i've never fished there. i hear Jacks hang out at the MOB so i may give it a shot soon.

I have fished jetties often over the years but never with a fly rod. If memory serves me correct there was always a lot of wind. I am too old and not as agile as I use to be. The way to get around on jetties in the NW was to jump from large bolder to bolder. For sure I would end up between them now. Funny, you see fishermen cast out as far as they can, the fish always held tight at your feet, right next to the rocks. Good luck, Jonezee

I sprained my ancle from a jetty. Very dangerous, very great fishing though. If you can find a place where your backcast dosen't hit the rocks and you can get down far enouph to where you can cast, do it. Jetty's are excellent fishing, especially on the end.

Default Re:

Quote Originally Posted by peregrines
    Good advice above. You'll also want a stripping basket to control your loose line.
    peregrines
    Agree 100%. I used to fish the jetties at Ocean City, MD when I lived up there, and I did quite well. I liked to fish the inlet, where tons of water and bait move through. I also did better at night, as that jetty had lights.

+ Reply to Thread