+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me outfit my 3 wt. Take 2!

Default Help me outfit my 3 wt. Take 2!

Thanks for all the great responses I got on the last thread. It helped a lot. Here is what I am thinking. I have narrowed it down to 2 rods.

TFO Pro series
    Cabela's LST

Both are 4 piece 3 wt. rods. I want to go with a rod/reel combo just because you get a good deal on the real and free line. That is too much free tackle to pass up. Since it is a 3 wt., then I don't plan on using the drag much if any. So I decided to go with a cabelas CSR reel. I could just get the prestige plus, but I actually just like the looks of the CSR (shallow I know).

Both rods are offered with a CSR combo.
    The TFO combo is $219.95
    The cabela's combo is $234.99

Help me choose between these 2 rod combos.

Thanks
    C

Ohh, just found an interesting deal. Feather Craft has the TFO pro series, Ross flystart reel, line, backing, leader, rod sock, rod tube for $234.95. I'll search FAOL for Flystart opinions.

Normand Guest

Have you personally casted these rods to see if they are really what you want??

If I had then I would not need the opinion of others, but since I can't cast them, I am asking those who have or who own them.

Well.. I'll bite. I kind of like the TFO 3wt. My father owns one, and I've fished it briefly a few times. I recall it being a faster rod than most people are looking for in a three weight, but I think that can be a good thing if you fish pocket water. This was a couple years back, so their models might have changed, but I recall being favorably impressed.

I bought the TFO model you're looking at early last summer, and it's now my favorite rod for panfishing and small mountain streams.

I go with a Finnese series if you are in for a 3wt. from what your short list. Or better yet look at the sales on the Superfines!For a little more money but you regret it one bit. IMO

Check the warranties on each rod. The TFO is a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. Not sure if the Cabelas is the same. TFO doesn't even care if you are the original owner.

Also, if the TFO is a little faster, I would lean toward it, especially in a 3 weight. I have an Echo 3 weight that is about the same medium fast action, and it has enough strength in the butt section to set the hook on even a hard mouthed fish such as a largemouth.

I don't know about the 3wt, but I own the 7wt LST with the CSR reel (bought as a combo last August), and it casts like a broomstick. I use it for steelhead and love it.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic
    I don't know about the 3wt, but I own the 7wt LST with the CSR reel (bought as a combo last August), and it casts like a broomstick. I use it for steelhead and love it.

Joe
    Now you've got me confused....is that good?...I know JC casts one [broomstick]...but

Joe, the last time you used...."swwwweeeeeet"...

+ Reply to Thread